Monday, February 18, 2008

Why it's important to have a weather sealed camera such as the K10D.


Hi Pentax friends,

Sunday late afternoon, we were driving back home from an outing to the country side of San Bernardino county. Along route 18, south the San Bernardino Mountains, a hay farmer (not that I knew, but I asked the farmer what he was growing) was watering the fields. The sun was low and it emphasized the water sprays.

With the farmer’s permission, I ventured into the field and started shooting. I liked the effects it was creating, but I was all wet by the time I was finish and so was the Pentax K10D. I’m happy to report that, as advertised, the K10D did not take any water in. It’s only after the shootout that the farmer told me that the water was recycled and that I should wash my face and hands thoroughly. So we stopped at the next service station and did just that. I hope I won’t get sick from the tainted water! His crop is not intended for human consumption, but for his animal feeding. You think there are any chances the bacteria’s could eventually get to us from the meat we eat?

None the less, I thought the effect was worthy of the time spent there.

Thank you for reading,

Yvon Bourque

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi there! thanks for a gr8 blog, it's a wonderful asset to the pentax community.

i have a k10d, and i've wondered if the camera is weather resistant regardless wat pentax/other lens is used (i primarily use f1.4/50mm and kit 18-55mm) or would i need to use the camera with specific weather-sealed lens?

thanks

Unknown said...

You need DA* lenses for full effectiveness of weather seals, although most of the electronics are located in the camera. There are very little chances of water getting in the camera through the lenses except if you point the camera upward. It's okay to use the K10D in snowy or moderate rain.

Regards

Anonymous said...

awesome, thanks!

Anonymous said...

recycled water is in general, very clean. They test it to ensure that it doesn't contain human pathogens. Additionally the bacteria that cause disease in humans don't survive well outside of the body, so by the time they've been sprayed on crops and dried out then harvested and feed to animal there is no chance or survival.