Sunday, February 8, 2009

As coincidence has it!

Visitors to this page also liked: See right column.
We honor reciprocal links.

Hi Pentaxian friends.

I’m going back in time to the early days of EBay. A friend had told me about this new site where one could auction all kind of stuff and make money. I remember joining EBay and looking for camera stuff. I was a little doubtful of the whole process and was not willing to spend a lot of money on my first try. The rules were much simpler than today and there were no PayPal either. The process took a little longer then.

I checked the camera section, which had far less listings that today’s auctions, and found a used Nikon “One*Touch” 35mm point-and-shoot for just a few dollars because it was not working. I knew that most of camera problems were caused by faulty battery contacts in 90% of the cases, and purchased the camera for $2.00 and another few dollars for shipping. I was right, and all I had to do was to clean the battery contacts and the camera was working like new again.



A few days later, I took a picture of the Nikon “One*Touch” with a Sony Mavica

digital camera that belonged to the company I worked for. I posted the camera on EBay and sold it for $49.00 plus shipping. That was a 24.5 the price I paid. I was hooked and started selling and buying regularly on EBay. There were more bargains to be had back then as I would purchase complete camera outfits and sell them individually, achieving a very generous profit.

About a Month ago, my brother "Roland" sent me an email and told me that someone had given him an older 35mm camera and was I interested in it for my collection of old cameras? Of course, I’m always interested in everything photographic and told him to send the camera. Well, as coincidence has it, it was a Nikon “One*Touch” 35mm point-and-shoot just like the first one purchased and sold on EBay as my first sale.

I don’t think that there are any Divine messages into this, but it’s sure is a unique coincidence that he found a Nikon “One*Touch” and that it would find its way to me. Maybe it’s a sign that I should sell more on EBay.

Thank you “Bro” for sending the camera.


We've come a long way with this Pentax K20D for example.


Thank you all for reading,

Yvon Bourque

No comments: