Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The K20D is snapping at the heels of the Canon EOS 1DS MK II


Dear Pentaxians and friends

Tonight I went to Barnes & Nobles bookstore, just as I do about three times per week. While sipping a Venti® cup of Starbuck peppermint mocha, I was looking through six or seven photo magazines. I usually purchase the magazines published in the US, if I find good articles. However, I tend to read the magazines from abroad while at the bookstore without purchasing them because they cost nearly $10.00 in the US. Tonight, I found a magazine that I had never seen at Barnes & Nobles. It is PRO Photo and Bright Publishing from the UK, publishes it. They have a website http://www.dppro.co.uk/ Click here for a free demo of their digital edition. February 2008.

I was impressed with the contents. I read more stuff about Pentax in that magazine than any other magazines on the racks. Although I will not plagiarize the Pentax article on page 6 of the March 2008 issue, written by Adam Scorey, I am posting some excerpts from it. I really like what he had to say and especially the way he wrote it. I hope you can get that magazine.

The article is “PENTAX PIXEL POWER is the K20D the proverbial David?”
He writes about the Pentax presentation in Dubai where 122 European photojournalists gathered.
He goes on to write” Now you might think Pentax? A pro camera? But hang on. It chucks out a whooping 14.6MP! It beats the Canon 5D, the new D3 and D300 from Nikon and it is snapping at the heels of the Canon EOS IDS MK II. Talk about coming from behind…

Adam, if you ever read my post, you’re my kind of guy. You recognize a good thing when you see one.

There is a good plug for the new Pentax 200mm f/2.8 and the 300mm f/4 lenses on page 8.

On pages 20 and 21, there is a great ad from Pentax UK. Geraint Tellem, a pro landscape and stock photographer from the UK, wrote it. I scanned the pages above…I don’t think that Pentax UK will mind the additional advertisement on this blog.

I’ve always had a Pentax camera since I was a young boy. I am so glad to witness their comeback. Although Pentax is now owned by Hoya, they announced yesterday that the Pentax name would remain. That a smart decision.
Oh...by the way, I did purchase the magazine.

Thank you for reading.

As always, I appreciate your visit to my blog site as well as your comments on the forums or on my blog site.

Best Regards,

Yvon Bourque - Pentaxdslrs.blogspot

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For your information, The 'PRO Photo' item was entirely paid for by Pentax and the 'writer' had the pentax camera put into his hand. The 'article' is nothing else but a cynical attempt to persuade readers that 'real' and 'pro' photographers are using Pentax,...whereas, in reality few are doing so as pentax is primarily a consumer product. In my view this kind of nonsense does more harm than good as people here in the UK are particularly hard minded and are not taken in by this kind of thing,....hopefully, pentax will live or die on it's merits not by trying to crudely deceive British photo enthusiasts, who pay much more for their cameras by the way.

Unknown said...

Obviously, the above remarks are not factual. They are strictly the opinion of anonymous. Who is anonymous anyway. You know, when I give an opinion, I am not ashamed to give my name. I am leaving the above comments just to show how anonymous is making a fool of himself. Give us the facts and the proof, not just your opinion.

Regards,

Yvon Bourque