Monday, October 13, 2008

Did I purchase a white elephant?





Hi pentaxiand friends.
This weekend, I found the above Pentax video camera at the local swap meet. The price tag was at $100.00 but after bargaining with the seller, I got it for $25.00. It came with a great case that's probably worth that much alone.
The problem, is that I was not able to find anything about this Pentax - Color Video Camera model PC-K9000. I googled it and all I was able to find was a replacement battery for it at a cost of nearly $250.00. It has no recording media in the camera itself and I believe it has to send a signal to some kind of video recording media. It may be a television camera for all I know. I wonder if there is an adapter to run the camera from a wall outlet?
It has what seems to be a great zoom lens on it @ 20mm to 100mm, whatever that is in this format.
If anyone knows anything about this Pentax model of Video Camera, please let me know. I'm afraid that I have purchased a white elephant. However, It can make a great paper weight and generate a lot of conversation.

Thank you for reading and I hope someone knows something about this Pentax Color Video Camera. I didn't even know that Pentax had made video cameras.
Yvon Bourque

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, they did. In Europe, there was a Pentax home video recorder (VHS-system). I don't know its type, it wasn't really successful but it existed. This video recorder you've purchased looks like it's from the prosumer line. I hope you can breathe life into it. Cheers from Hungary!

Unknown said...

The camera probably isn't worth much. There a plenty of ways to make better video.

But if you can adapt that lens to your dSLR you got a bargain

Anonymous said...

I have no idea, Yvon, but I applaud your bargaining skills: $100 to $25! :-D

Anonymous said...

Yvon,

I passed on your note about the tag sale camera to my friend Mike Cavanaugh, who is involved in video. Here are his thoughts:


"Looks like an old studio camera - my guess is that under the grayish box at the rear is some 15 pin connectors that carry signal and intercom back to the control room. Probably S-video quality +/- 340 line resolution. Current standard digital is 525 abd HD is 1080."


Regards, Alan Mapes
Delmar, NY