Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Pentax K2000; What's in the box and first impression.







Hi Pentaxian friends,

What's in the box:





For those living in the United States, the DSLR is labeled as Pentax K2000 but everywhere else in the world, it is labeled Pentax K-m. Since I reside in the USA I ordered the K2000 and it is packaged for the USA's market. "BE INTERESTING" logo is all over the box. It's part of the new Pentax Website and their new advertisement campaign.

The DSLR is sold as a kit and the American kit contains the DSLR body, the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 DA L lens and the AF200FGZ flash. I have noticed that the kits in other countries are comprised of the DSLR and the 18-55mm lens.

Opening the box:





Very neatly packed, you first get to the usual Operating Manuals, the Software on CD, and a very handy quick Guide (Remember that this camera was designed with beginners and P&S owners upgrading to DSLR). The first thing I noticed about the Operating Manual is that it seemed to be thicker than the manuals for previous DSLR cameras, but the pages looks smaller. The bigger compartment lodges the K2000. It is small and lightweight. A smaller than usual strap in included and the USB cable, required to download the images from the DSLR and also for PictBridge and video output. Batteries are included in form of four AA Energizer Lithium. These are the best on the market, I believe.




Next comes the lens. It is the DA L 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6. Optically, it is equal to the previous DA 18-55mm II, but the construction is mostly plastic, except the glass of course. It makes the lens lighter, and for people upgrading from P&S, it will likely stay on the camera most of the time. I wouldn't worry too much about wearing the mount.




The AF200FG flash is included as an extra bonus. Of course the guide number is only 20 and the reason it is a welcomed addition is that the built-in flash is not high enough to use with the supplied lens, particularly when used at the wide angle position. The pouch supplied with the AF200FG is better quality than the one supplied when the flash is purchased separately. I know because I previously bought the AF200FG.

First Impression:

The camera is light and fits very well in my hand. It fits even better in my wife's hand, so she said. (I guess that will be her camera!). For the entry-level photographers or people upgrading from a P&S, I think this is the best DSLR on the market, at this time anyway, when comparing the value for your money. Although the MSRP is at $699.95, the camera is already selling around $400.00 at many places.

For the more advanced photographers, I think this camera will find its way to their camera bag. It is perfect for street shooting, and although I don't own a 21mm Limited, I do have the 70mm and tried it.




When installed, it makes the overall weight almost equal to some P&S/compact cameras, and its size is small enough to put in a coat pocket or a purse. What an ideal DSLR for travel photography and street photography. Although I won't talk about the IQ until I use the camera for a few days, looking at the specifications and knowing it has the same sensor as the K10D and the K200D, it can only be equal or better, since Pentax had plenty of time to tweak the firmware. Check back in a few days, on this site, for more information on this new DSLR.

Thank you for reading,

Yvon Bourque

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does the K2000 come with a lens hood for the DA L 18-55, or have they left it out as a cost saving measure?

Unknown said...

The lens hood is not supplied with the kit I received. There is no mention of the hood that I can see inside the box.