Friday, June 26, 2009

Do you realize how useful being able to take still photos and high definition videos with the same DSLR is?

Visitors to this page also liked: See "Recommended Reading" on the right column. We honor reciprocal links. Email: brqyvn@aol.com

Hi Pentaxian friends.

With the K-7 DSLR, not only will you be able to produce superb images and high definition video, you will now be able to combine the results of both. I have been writing this blog for two years now, and this new development will change my blog forever.

Imagine going on a photo trek to the mountains on a sunny day. As of today, I would take several dozen or even several hundred of pictures. When returning home, I would download my SDHC to Lightroom, process the files, select about ten images, and post the images on my blog. I would write about my trek and explain about how the pictures were taken, etc.

Now with the K-7, it will be a completely different adventure. Imagine going on the same trek with the K-7. As I drive in my Jeep up the mountains, I can take HD video of the surroundings. When I see a picturesque scene, I can set my K-7 on my tripod and take several still pictures…but I will also scan the area with the video function so that later on when I write my blog, I can show the entire experience on video and then show the pictures I took in the same area.

The viewers will have a much better understanding of the surroundings and will be able to appreciate the still images much better. Add to that the possibility of using the HD video for explaining the camera settings, the composition, give tips or lessons as the photo is actually taken. We are so lucky to live in this high tech era.

Thank you for reading,

Yvon Bourque

5 comments:

Chris said...

How is scanning the area with video better than a still panorama?

Video is useful sure but making an artistic video is much more involved and a widely different skillset and art form than photography even if the basics are similar.

I'll stick to pictures, thanks. Video will be useful to me in the same way a casual photographer uses a camera - point and shoot.

Unknown said...

Chris,

I don't intend to produce artistic or professional videos either.

When I use the scanning as example, I am thinking that for my blog, a short video of the area I am shooting still pictures would help the readers understand the location. The video scanning the area and the sound gives a better idea of the vastness of a particular place.

Still pictures capture one image, with all it's details, frozen in time.

For example, let's say I'm going to take pictures in the Mojave desert. I shoot a video showing the desert, the rare robust vegetation, the sand dunes, the clouds , the sky, all with sound and commentaries if neeed, etc. Now my audience has an idea of where I am. I take specific still pictures of say a cactus, in details. That's the art of still photography. The viewers can appreciate, or not, the picture, but they know the environment I was in.

MyPhotoBelle said...

Perhaps as a result of your scanning the terrain where you're getting your "artistic" stills, I'm intrigued and decide to hop in my "honda hybrid" and take a drive to the mountains to shoot my own pics with my K10D! This video capability is a part of a whole new culture and mindset for how we may shoot pictures, use video and just share our experiences. I like the idea of being able to capture "life happening" while I'm looking for "that great shot". I'm getting the K-7 for a bunch of reasons. Well, once I save enough lunch-money! And I believe it'll be a camera I can use for a long time, as I'm growing in my photographic skills and I may just get a little savy in shooting "video"; not looking for an Oscar or a bid at a film fetival, but who knows what may grow out of the K-7 sod...I'm gonna have some fun!

Unknown said...

MyPhotoBelle,

It looks like you got that K10D! That's great. I was a revolutionary camera when it came out and still is when you compare value for your money. At the end of the day, the camera is just the tool. It's the hunan element that makes the big difference. As for the video capabilities, it is the wave of the future. We can't escape it. People are always afraid of the unknown, but after a while, they can't live without it. Go figure!

MyPhotoBelle said...

A-men to your feedback Yvon! But much to my dismay at the last minute early this morning I was outbid on the K10D! Not sure what happened, as I was certain I had it! Well, back to the "bidding-board"; it's just a matter of time!