Monday, June 22, 2009

More of Pentax K-7 pre-production, HDR test.


Above are the presets I used before taking the HDR pictures. Bright with max saturation, max contrast and max sharpness. You can see an improvement over yesterday's HDR pictures. Note also that no post-processing was made to these pictures. They are as taken with the K-7 except for the reduction in size as this is still the same pre-production camera, with Firmware V 1.0.

The picture above is without HDR. Note the blown out highlights and dark shadows.

The picture above is with standard HDR. Note the highlights show more details and so does the shadow areas.

The picture above is with strong HDR. Much better and certainly much better than the Jeep pictures of yesterday.

HDR strong

HDR standard

HDR off

Visitors to this page also liked: See "Recommended Reading" on the right column. We honor reciprocal links. Email: brqyvn@aol.com

Hi Pentaxian friends.

Click here for HDR definition.
I am still testing the K-7 which is a pre-production model. The final impression of this great camera cannot be finalized until the production model is available. I shot the same pictures as I did for the ISO tests. Same place, same location, same tripod, etc.

The HDR can only be activated in JPG shooting. The camera takes the three sequential pictures once you press the shutter button once. It takes about 20 seconds before the HDR results appear on the LCD monitor.

Note that the following settings can be performed before taking an HDR photograph; contrast, sharpness, saturation, hue, high/low key, as well as the following presets, bright, natural, portrait, landscape, vibrant, muted and B&W. The above pictures were only pre-adjusted for contrast. I might take a little while to get familiar with the HDR mode, but with a little practice (which I certainly need) the results will be similar to post-processing with a dedicated HDR software.

I am not particularly interested in HDR, but for the photographers using this method, this function will be great and will minimize your workflow.

Thanks for reading,

Yvon Bourque

6 comments:

Paul said...

Hi Yvon,

You should probably test the HDR function in a scene with high contrast (a sunny place with dark shadows on the image, or a shot through the window from inside your house).

Anyway thanks for your tests.

Best regards,
Paul

MyPhotoBelle said...

Yvon,
was great seeing you today! Looking forward to being an active part of the Pentax family again! Saw a YouTube video on the K7. OMG; can't wait! Thanks for sharing and hello again Anne!
Michelle,

Unknown said...

Hi Michelle,

It was nice seeing you too. I hope you get that K10D or even a new K-7 in the near future. There are so many photo opportunities in Santa Monica. I'll get you one of the new "My invention" as a beta unit when I get it to the pre-market stage.

Unknown said...

Paul,

I think the new pictures inside my house may represent the HDR function a little better than the Jeep pictures.Imagine when I get better at using the HDR!

MyPhotoBelle said...

Yvon!
Appreciated the second set of pictures using the K-7 HDR function. That's pretty amazin! The bidding on the K10 has escalated, as you said. I expect the next day & a half will turn into a bid-fest! We'll see what happens! One thing's for sure when I get my new Pentax, I'm hoppin on the first swirling, tornado-bound house to OZ to shoot to my heart's content and I'm not coming in for a while. Don't need any red shoes to click together, cuz I won't want to come home!

MyPhotoBelle said...

Did I hear you right? I just re-read...I get a beta unit? You rock Yvon!!