Saturday, July 18, 2009

Daily Photo Tip

By MarkRaymondMason.com
Fine Art Photography

'Dropped' pixels are pixels that malfunction and repeatedly produce a colour value that doesn't correspond to the rest of the photograph. Dropped pixels can be repaired using photography software. (Jul 18, 2009)

Note that the Pentax K20D and K-7 have an in-camera "Pixel Mapping" function that will fix the problem. It finds the dead pixels and use an algorithm so that the pixel takes the color of its neighbor pixels. Pentax is so humble about their features!

4 comments:

Suecae Sounds said...

I didn't know that new Pentaxes could do that in camera. That is an excellent sollution.

Unknown said...

Pentax is too humble about some of their great features. I use this Pixel Mapping once every month, just to make sure that there are no dead pixels that will show up as white or red dots in my photos. Once you correct the pixels, it's done forever. The camera remembers it. Dead pixels are found in every DSLRs, even the most expensive models.

Jaime said...

Hello,

I've recently run the pixel mapping, but as I don't really know how it works (don't know if it maps the whole sensor every time or if it works following an additive process) I've decided I'd better cope with this problem myself using raw converters.
The problem is, there doesn't seem to be a way of reseting this feature and re-enabling all sensor pixels. In my opinion this is pretty strange...

Do you know a way of resetting this feature?

Thank you.

patrick dinneen said...

Thanks for this, I was going through my menu settings and this site confirmed what exactly pixel mapping is.
Cheers.