Saturday, November 21, 2009

Pentax K-7 used as a video Camera with the ikan V5600 monitor.

This post was published on my blog back in July. In the end, I realized that I was a still image photographer and don't really want to venture in videography. However, if you are, I am offering the ikan V5600, with the AC adapter, shoe mount, bracket, Sony battery, battery adapter plate, and all cables required for use with the Pentax K-7 or the Canon 5D or 7D. THE RODE MIC IS NOT PART OF THE PACKAGE. I used the Ikan a total of two time. The setup I have is worth more that $900.00 but I will let it go for $450.00 here first. If nobody gets it from here, I will post it on EBay. Email me if interested and I can sell it using PayPal. Email: brqyvn@aol.com

I will ship free in the USA and at cost everywhere else.
Check here for additional pictures and description of this setup:
http://pentaxdslrs.blogspot.com/2009/07/more-photos-of-ikan-v5600-lcd-monitor.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I purchased a RODE Stereo Microphone and an ikan V-5600 5.6" LCD monitor. Those two intem make the K-7 a good Video recording camera, similar to many HD dedicated video camera which cost a whole lot more.

One could easily produce a very good commersial video or a short film with the K-7 . It's that good. Although some folks were disapointed that the K-7 didn't have AF capability while filming, I don't see that as a problem at all. AF Digicams are on the "amateurish" side. Imagine any TV Commercial or Big Screen Movie where the focus keeps changing as different subjects enter the camera field of vue. A Professional Video Photographer usually adjust the Auto focus manually for each scene. Each scene or clip is then stitched together to create a complete video, taken from many angles and short clips. The sound is usually a blend of actual sound, as recorded during the filming, and post production voices and music to complete the recording as a whole.

I will post applications for the video capabilities of the K-7, on this blog, in the days and weeks ahead. It will probably change the way my articles are posted on this blogsite.

Don't get me wrong, I am a still photographer first and a user of video recording capabilities, second. The Rode stereo microphone makes the video come to live. (I will have an article about it soon.)

The ikan V-5600, 5.6" LCD monitor makes recording videos a pleasure.

Although the K-7 has a 3" LCD monitor, it cannot be compared to a 5.6" monitor. Recording a video is not like shooting pictures. The bigger the screen, the better you will compose your scene. The video on the bigger monitor allows a clearer view and the rendition is very bright. The aspect ratio is adjustable to the format you are filming. It also has a jack for earphones so that you can isolate yourself from the surroundings and concentrate on your video.

The Ikan monitor is light enough to mount on the camera flash bracket or an off camera flash bracket. I mounted my microphone on the camera and the Ikan monitor on an off camera flash bracket. If you are serious about recording videos, you will mount the complete outfit on a tripod, shoot many scenes and stitch them together at home or studio, with a good software application.

I like the ikan V5600 and recommend it to anyone who wants to venture in serious video recording. B&H Photo has the V5600 in stock. If you really want to immerse yourself in videography, visit this site, Zacuto. They have many accessories for the hybrid DSLR/Video cameras. Here 's an overview of the ikan V5600:

Ikan introduces the brand-new V5600, 5.6 inch, LCD monitor featuring a panel resolution of 1024 x 600, switchable aspect ratios (16:9 or 4:3) and multiple inputs, including YUV, AV and HDMI. With a robust image that weighs less than a pound (450 gram), the V5600 is the perfect solution for those looking for a small LCD monitor for field use on either full-size HD video cameras or the new HD-capable DSLR cameras such as the Pentax K-7.

KEY FEATURES:

HDMI, Component, & Composite Inputs

Color System NTSC

Supports 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i

Safe area guides for 16:9 and 4:3 aspect ratios

General Specifications:

Diagonal: 5.6" TFT LCD screen

Resolution: 1024 x 600

LCD Brightness: 165cd/m2

Contrast Ratio: 200:1

Viewing angles: 80/80(R/L), 55/55(U/L)

Operating Volts: DC 12-24V

Dimension: 5.75" x 4.625" x 0.82"

Weight: 0.7 lb

5 comments:

Kym said...

This is really cool.
I think for macro work with live view the bigger screen would also help greatly.

rye said...

I'm working on a similar rig with a BushHawk. Now all I need is the videomic and monitor. Sigh...

Miserere said...

Yvon,

Does the Ikan V5600 have its own power supply?

Unknown said...

Miserere,

Yes it has it's own power supply via a Sony Li-ion battery.I have about two hours os use on it and it still is going on. I remove it from the monitor when I'm doce because there is a red led on while it is attached to the monitor. That would drain it after a while.

Also, like Kym said above, it's great for macro work as the details are really big. Kym is moderator on the Australian Photography Pentax Forum. Check them out. They are listed on my links. Very nice people in Australia.

Anonymous said...

Yvon,
Could you tell me what make of flash bracket that is in the picture you posted, as well as the shoe mount the monitor is attached to?