Sunday, November 15, 2009

Good news - bad news. Pentax K-7 came out as the winner.

The day started good.
Zipping along...
One pause to air-down the tires.
On the trail we go.
My wife had to come get us with the good old Chevy.
Still camped out for the weekend.
Some guys were climbing the big boulders.
Joshua tree is peaceful this time of year.
This is some kind of Indian burial place from the early 1900's and my wife and step-son peeping through
Another angle of the Indian burial.
Who is going to get food from inside the pumpkin?
I will fight you for it.
Okay, you win...I'll come back later as I know you can't eat it all.


Visitors to this page also liked: See "Recommended Reading" on the right column. We honor reciprocal links. Email: brqyvn@aol.com


Hi Pentaxian friends.

Last weekend, we decided to go camping in Joshua Tree national Park, and go four-wheeling on the nearby trails. I brought my K-7 along with us, hoping to get good pictures of Joshua Tree and of the Jeep performing. It was incredibly dusty and the K-7 really took a beating. At times, the camera looked more like is was brown on account of all the dust on it. I had to clean it with a wet rag several times. I dropped it once on the Jeep's floor when we drove over a boulder. Not once did I need to clean the sensor. Not one piece of dust got it the camera and the camera is still working perfectly. That's pretty impressive. I did take some great shots in Joshua Tree and of the Jeep, as posted above.

The sad part, is that the K-7 outlasted the Jeep :(

We broke the rear differential in trying to crawl over a big rock, obviously too big for the Jeep. I had to tow the Jeep behind my Chevy Silverado all weekend... in shame. I didn't want to ruin an otherwise good weekend of camping so we stayed at the campground anyway.

So as it is right now, it's 1 to 0 for the K-7. The good news is that the K-7 is one tough camera. The bad news is that my Jeep is broken and it will cost about the same price as a K-7 with a good lens to fix the Jeep. Goodbye LBA for a while.

Thank you for reading,

Yvon Bourque

4 comments:

Hin Man said...

Very sorry to hear about your Jeep. I hope you get it fixed as I know you love your Jeep. Next time when you have a dusty K-7, it may be a interesting idea to use another k-something to shoot a portrait of K-7 in the working field.

Unknown said...

I actually had a brand new K-x that I just bought last week. I didn't want to get it in the same situation as I was afraid it would get damaged. I should have brought my K20D as well.

Hin Man said...

If I were Ned or Pentax staff, I will send you a free copy of the Red K-x so that you can have product shots on a red k-x mounted on a tripod next to your red Jeep. I prefer the product shot with no cleaning for dust and dirt to show how the K-x and the Jeep work in your camping trip. I hope Ned reads this comment. That would be awesome.

Unknown said...

Hin Man,
That would be great indeed, but I don't think Pentax will send me a red K-x for product shots with the red camera and Jeep. It would certainly be an honor but I think it will be in my dreams only. Thank you for such comments, I take that as a great compliment.