Friday, May 21, 2010

Will Pentax produce a mirrorless camera (often called Hybrid or EVIL camera)? I think they will...they have everything needed.

The Camera above is the Samsung NX10. It uses the same sensor as the K20D and The K-7.

Above is what I think the Pentax EVIL or Hybrid camera could look like. There has been a close relationship between Pentax and Samsung for a while, and for all I know, Pentax may be making the NX10 for Samsung. This said, I think the Sony 12MP sensor used in the K-x would be a better fit.
Visitors to this page also like "Recommended Reading" on the right column. Email: brqyvn@aol.com

Hi Pentaxian friends.

I couldn't resist thinking that a Pentax hybrid would look something similar to the Samsung NX10. I think that Pentax will produce such hybrid camera just because it makes sense. Pentax has always produced cameras with small footprints. The K-x is a good example of their current lineup and when paired with one of their Limited lens, it does have a small footprint. You can actually carry the K-x and a limited lens in your coat pocket...but it is still not as small as what an hybrid camera would be.

DPR wrote "The Samsung NX10 has the heart of a DSLR embedded inside the compact frame of a digital camera, successfully integrating the APS-C size CMOS sensor with a mirrorless interchangeable lens, for a sleek, lightweight camera that users can easily take with them everywhere they go."

Pentax can produce such hybrid camera and can do it better than anyone else. For once, they have all of the infrastructure in place. Everybody loves the Pentax limited lenses. Take the K-x's heart, the 12MP Sony sensor, implant it in a body similar to the Samsung NX10, and voila, Pentax is at the top of Hybrid cameras. I, for one, think the APS-C sensor is more adapt to hybrid cameras than the four thirds sensors. The size of the sensor alone would deliver better image quality than a four thirds sensor. Its like the difference between APS-C and Full Frame sensors.

The small size of the camera would be the biggest advantage. Imagine the qualify image of the K-7 or K-x, in a package that could fit in your shirt pocket.

At this point in time, I doubt that Pentax will ever manufacture a full Frame camera. They already have one better than the full frame in the new 645D, which will eventually be available worldwide...with certainty.

Thanks for reading,

Yvon Bourque

7 comments:

stanleyk said...

I tend to agree on the Full Frame. I just don't see Pentax doing a full frame camera. I'm about to buy an EP 2 with my tax refund. That said I own a Kx, a K7, and the complete DA 15-70mm so I'll still be shooting Pentax most of the time. I'm not sure why everyone wants a full frame. Unless you really print big, I'm not sure I can tell the difference. Maybe my eyesight is bad.

Miserere said...

Stanley, no, your eyesight isn't bad. You need to print not big, but HUGE, to tell the difference between a 14MP print (from a K20D or K-7) and a 24MP print (from a Sony A850/900 or Nikon D3x).

Yvon, I've been shooting with the Samsung NX10 almost exclusively for the last month, and it feels very much like a Pentax. You can tell they've learnt something from their years of collaborating with their DSLR line.

For the type of work I do, a camera like the NX10 is perfect. Furthermore, I also believe Pentax could do a better job, especially with the firmware, which is the NX10's weak point.

I would much rather Pentax use their resources to produce an advanced and entry-level line of MILCs (like the mock-up you show here) than a FF DSLR. Using their knowledge of small prime construction, Pentax could create a street shooter's dream system: 18mm f/2.8, 28mm f/2 and 60mm f/2.

If they released such a system, I would sell most of my DSLR equipment to finance this purchase.

Unknown said...

Miserere,

Obviously, I would like such Hybrid camera. I would have it with me all the time. For now, I just purchased the W90 to carry with me all the time. It's an upgrade from the W80 I purchased about a year ago or so. It doesn't have the quality of ny K-7 and unfortunately does not take RAW files, but I do have a decent camera with me all of the time.

Matthew Miller said...

I think it's pretty clear that Samsung went entirely alone with the NX series, leaving Pentax out. (It's even got its own new, incompatible flash system!) Possibly there were early secret talks, but they apparently didn't go anywhere.

I think Pentax has got to have an answer in this market, although I don't think they'll necessarily be hurt by waiting a little bit at this point -- first-mover advantage has come and gone, and it might be wise to see how things shake out with the Sony NEX and what Canon/Nikon come up with. The last thing Pentax needs is to go off in the wrong direction and have it flop.

(My vote would be for them to join micro 4/3rds. But that might make the heads of everyone who is clamoring for full frame explode. I guess that's not necessarily a bad thing.)

liquidhands said...

I would rather have FF just for the viewfiner.
If they do it right, I think Pentax could be the EVIL leader.. they already have a rep for building small high quality gear.

Miserere, how bout a 27mm 1.8? that sounds more like pentax's style for funky focal lenghts=)

stanleyk said...

Miserere,

MY E-P2 is due Friday from Adorama. I also got the Novoflex adapter for K Mount. I would have bought a Pentax if they had a similiar camera. I have absolutely no intention of purchasing a huge FF camera. Just too big.

I have a buddy who has the FF Canon, its 5D something or other. Man that's a huge camera.
Especially when he puts that white 70-200mm zoom on it. I just can't see carrying around something that big all day long. I do a lot of hiking. I going to bet him my K-7 with the DA 15-70's and the EP 1 with the 17 is going to be just as light as that behemoth. :-)

I always print on Red River paper, the 13 X 19 rag with no optical brighteners. I just choose orginal aspect ratio and go from there. I like to compose with viewfinder and don't crop. I've printed some shots for my frined. I can't see a difference between my Pentax and his Canon. I'm hoping I can do this with the E-P2.

BTW- if anyone is interested, the Lensbaby cases fit the DA's great. Only $15 a piece.

Miserere said...

I would rather have FF just for the viewfiner.

That's the beauty of EVILs, your VF size is independent of sensor size. Currently, EVFs are still on the small side, but they'll soon increase in size as their prices come down. There's no reason why an APS-C EVIL camera can't have a viewfinder the size of the Pentax MX's.