Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Pentax world has been relatively quiet this past year. So shame on me for thinking, that in my future, I might purchase some third party equipment, to complement my Pentax arsenal.


Visitors to this page also like "Recommended Reading" on the right column. Email: brqyvn@aol.com

Hi Pentaxian friends.

The Pentax world has been relatively quiet this past year. Yes, the Pentax Medium Format 645D was introduced in Japan and is making it's way to the United States and Europe, but that's not a DSLR that most of us will be able to purchase. I wish I could, but $10K for the camera, plus several indispensable lenses and other peripheral equipment would mean an outfit costing somewhere between $15K to $20K. You can certainly purchase a nice car for that amount of money. Moreover, big files means that your computing power may become inadequate. That's another $2K to $5K. The "Beautiful" people of the world will be able to enjoy such a technical marvel, but the rest of us will still be shooting with APS-C or Full Frame DSLRs for a while.



The last two DSLRs that Pentax introduced were the K-7 in May of 2009 and the K-x in October of 2009. These two cameras have been the most successful DSLRs from Pentax thus far, especially the entry-level K-x which we saw being offered in a multitude of colors and packages. The K-x held the No.1 spot for several Months and the image quality was the best for cameras in its price range.

Many Point-and-shoot or compact* cameras (*to use Pentax's terms) have been released in the past twelve Months with the Optio W90 leading the pack. I actually purchased the Optio W90 and can attest that it is a great compact camera that you can bring with you anywhere you go, even under water.



Like most of other Pentaxians, I am awaiting to see what will be next for Pentax. The rumors are that, since the biggest camera event in the world, the German "Photokina World of Imaging" is taking place in September of this year, 2010, most new releases will likely coincide with this event, and that from all manufacturers. Then again, maybe not. Canon did introduce the EOS T2i just a little while back and the rumors are that Nikon will be introducing the replacement of the D90.

If you follow my blog, you might remember that some of my equipment was stolen earlier this year, on my way to the PMA show in Anaheim, CA. My most precious lenses are gone and I haven't been able to replace them so far. Yes, I should have insured my equipment, but that sort of bad luck only happens to other people...right!

I still have my K-7 and K-x and some good lenses, but my setup is quite diminished. In the past, I always had three bodies and lenses to cover from extreme wide-angle to long telephoto. I am at a crossroad now as to what will I get in the future to expand and re-equip myself with the best technology I can afford. I have been a Pentax user for many decades and always liked their approach to photography and their products, and still do. However, I am uncertain as to what I will do in the future. I will always purchase the flagship Pentax DSLR whenever a new one is introduced...but, let me explain another point-of-view to this.

I usually have three bodies and an assortment of lenses to cover just about any angle of view. What I don't always have is some of the attributes and technologies other camera makers may have on their models. If you are a Pentax fan, you might remember when Ned Bunnell, President of Pentax America, purchased a Leica camera and posted that on his blogsite. He was highly criticized for that, but he had a real tangible point. Pentax didn't manufacture a similar small, portable and high image quality he wanted.

Well, this is where I am. Pentax is certainly the most economical system and the biggest bang for the buck. Pentax is compatible with millions of lenses dating back 25 years plus. Pentax DSLRs and lenses are sufficient for more that 90% of the shooting situations. Pentax has the best pancake prime lenses. But what about very low light photography, or very high ISO requirements, or quickest auto-focus, or fast mega-zooms or telephotos? What about a competing camera to the  D3x or the EOS 1D Mark IV? I personally would never consider Sony or any of the 4/3 cameras.

So shame on me for thinking, that in my future, I might purchase some other non-Pentax equipment, to complement my Pentax arsenal. After all, I am in the pursuit of imaging perfection, although never attainable. Maybe instead of having three Pentax bodies, I might get three different branded bodies with accompanying lenses that will take advantage of each particular DSLR attributes. I might be able to cover 98% of the shooting situations then.

No, no, don't count me out of the Pentax world. I'm just thinking out loud on my blog site. Are you with me? When you are a Pentaxian, you are a Pentaxian forever.

Thank you for reading,

Yvon Bourque

20 comments:

Antonio Scuri said...

Hi,

I have a K10D, and I'm considering an update to K-7. But Canon EOS T2i really call my attention. I don't have many lenses, so changing to Canon wouldn't be a problem.

Then I did the math, image stabilization in Canon are done in the lenses, so for the same package body+2zoom(2.8), Canon is 1K more expensive. So instead of spending 2K, I would have to spend 3K+. So this is very close to what you just said.

The review of K-7 compared to T2i have some drawbacks, exactly what you mention.

I have to admit I'm a bit lost.

Thanks for sharing.

Hin Man said...

Please don't do this. Not you! You are the reason that I stay loyal with Pentax. I will be saddened to see you showing any intention of leaving Pentax. No, that is not you. I did not know which lens and which camera you had lost. Please post those out in your blog post and have Pentax USA look at the list and see what they can do to help you. I think many in the Pentax community will be behind you. And I for sure will rent you my lens for no fee if you have a need. Please reach out to Pentaxian first on your needs.

Unknown said...

I guess there is nothing wrong with making new friends but in the end for me it wasn't me who chose Pentax, it was Pentax who chose me. So I will shoot with my Pentax till the day another Camera finds me, if that ever happens I don't know. I'm not happy with full frame cameras as they are so big and heavy and much more expensive.
I have a kx and after shooting these last two weeks I realize that that little camera is enough for me as the image quality is truly amazing. I also want a K7 as the camera is well built and truly a champ. But for right now I will be happy with what I got.

In the end its art and it doesn't matter what you use to reach the end.

SenorStephenUrkelDaedalus said...

I have agreed with your past analysis that I don't think Pentax will come out with a Full frame camera any time soon. I also agree with them that the 645D project is probably the best thing for them to do financially, even though it won't show up in America for a long time (if ever) and it costs a ton.

In all likelihood they'll probably come out with a mirrorless camera system of some type since that seems to be the way things are going. I don't really have any interest in these cameras yet.

However, I personally want the DOF control and wide angle lens options that a full frame system (Canon's in particular) can provide. So I've thought about running a Pentax and Canon system side by side to shoot weddings and other events. Maybe picking up a Canon 5D with a 24 f/1.4 and then using that with my Pentax K-7 and a FA77 f/1.8. Sounds like a fun duo to me!

I've thought about this, but even with Canon 5Ds dropping in price, this still will be an expensive investment. I'm waiting to see what Pentax announces at Photokina and then I will likely make my move.

Still, I've given no thought to completely abandoning Pentax. Pentax is my main squeeze!

So I say explore other brands if you want, but keep your Pentax stuff, too.

Unknown said...

Hin Man and others,

I am not contemplating leaving the Pentax brand and I am not about to leave this blog. I am just looking at what the possibilities are for using other brand of cameras along with my Pentax setup. For example, shooting fast moving action or sport, we all know that Pentax is not the champion at that. There are some new Sigma, Tokina, and Tamron lenses that are pretty exciting but not available for the Pentax mount. Maybe a mix bag of equipment could solve many problems. For example, Javier Gutierrez, who is often posting on photo-net and his own blogs, uses all brands of cameras but is a Pentaxian first. The same with Miserere. All are Pentaxians first but opened to other technologies as well. I haven't purchased any other equipment yet, just looking across the fence.

Unknown said...

Hi Yvon, as you know I shoot nature. I am in the position as you and it is quite a dilemma to decide. For the last two months I have been using some Canon DSLRs because my Sigma lenses where at the service center. The ones I used were the 40D, 50D, 7D and the 1D mark IV. The lens I used was the venerable Canon 100-400. I was quite glad to get my Sigma stuff back but I really miss the speed, 6,3fps to 10fps. The K20D, barely 3fps. Also the focus, the speed and the accuracy is way above what I get from Pentax-Sigma combo. This morning I had the chance to try the Pentax SDM 300 F4, side by side with the 50D 100-400 combo. The Pentax 300 is much more silent, but slower and less accurate. The hit and miss is 20% greater than Canon. As for the Quality I'd say Pentax is a bit above the 100-400. I love my Pentax and my Sigma lenses. But although Pentax is cheaper and sometimes more user friendly, using the functions and rapid access to parameters, I feel that I am being let down from Pentax, thay are not in the game anymore. You should hear in the field all those Canons firing, it's all machine gun shooting, now hear me with a K20D, I should like my camera is dieing. BUT a real big BUT I do have quality pictures, I am quite proud of the outcome of the slowliness. So what do I do? Keep shooting at a slow pace or change or add a camp. The reason I used some Canon equipment is because a friend of mine is loaded with Canon products and felt that it is a shame that I don't go out and enjoy nature while my stuff was in the garage. Great friend. So like you I don't know what to do.
www.pbase.com/graphad

Nathan Chilton said...

If I were to buy into another system, it would be Nikon. I almost went with them originally. My plan was to buy a D50 with a 50mm f/1.8, but then they discontinued the D50 and replaced it with a camera which would not be able to autofocus that lens. That's when I restarted my research and ended up buying the K10D and the FA 50mm f/1.4. I love my Pentax gear, but I have been wanting a fast telephoto prime like an 85mm f/1.8. The FA 77mm is much more expensive than a Nikon 85mm f/1.8.

So, I'm actually pondering the idea of looking for a good deal on a used D80/D70 and then picking up a Nikon 85mm. I figure I could use it alongside my Pentax gear and slowly build up another system.

Just pondering the idea at the moment...

Boris Liberman said...

Yvon, I think that first of all one has to be loyal to one's own art or profession or hobby. To that end, it does not *really* matter which gear you use as long as you are comfortable with it and get the results you're after. So if you want to enhance your Pentax collection with Nikon or Canon gear - go for it. I see no reason why not.

If you ask me, I am most happy with K-7, finally properly aligned Katz Eye screen and SMCP A 50/1.2. But then again, I am shooting specifically as a hobbyist. The only shooting I am *asked* to do is for my older daughter class in school where K-7, Tamron 28-75/2.8 and old Metz flash do the job just nicely for 3 years now. Well, before K-7 it was K10D and it was just as nice.

So, really, you can still be a part of wonderful Pentax community be it PDML, Pentax forum or blogging folk. But don't let Pentax limitations hinder your abilities as an artist.

SenorStephenUrkelDaedalus said...

Another thought I've had is that Pentax's versatility as a brand really makes it an ideal complimentary lineup to a lot of different setups -- a great second camera, if you will. I think this is the reason you see a lot of Canon 5D Mark II and Nikon D700/D3 users on forums who also use the K-7 with the DA Limiteds as a more portable camera system for leisure and travel. Personally I'd pick a Pentax K-7 over another popular small camera, the Panasonic GF1, for this particular purpose.

Following this logic, mixing and matching with Pentax and other brands isn't a betrayal, it's actually a reflection of one of things Pentax has going for it at the moment.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

As far as DSLRs go, why spread your bucks across more than one brand?

If the augment you look for is not DSLR related it's another story, but shouldn't be limited to just Canon and Nikon.

Funny however that your considerations are triggered by your loss. It speaks volumes on how brand loyalty can be as simple as protection of already invested dollars. :-)

Unknown said...

Alunfoto,
You are right in your comments. What triggered this thought in my mind was indeed the loss of some of my equipment. Now that I need such expenses to replace my losses, should I invest in some other makes for the small percentage of what Pentax is not champion at? I know...It's not the camera, It's the photographer! On the other hand, was Ned Bunnell wrong to purchase a Leica, being the President of Pentax USA? My loyalty is with Pentax and will always be.

elho_cid said...

Actually after my MZ-7 died, I bought Canon EOS 5 as my AF film SLR.
So I'm also a Canon user since that time.
I'm happy with my choice of a second system, using also a compact Powershot camera of Canon brand.
But still Pentax remains my primary DSLR system. There are some interesting lenses with Canon system, but I'm usually more inclined towards Pentax offerings.

Anonymous said...

I understand. I was in the same boat as you (no loss to theft, though), and eventually purchased a nikon d700 to complement my k7 and k10. I needed something with quick, reliable autofocus for my increasing sports photography assignments, that also had extremely good low-light quality for my weddings, and Pentax just doesn't offer that right now.
I still love my k7 and it is my sidekick on assignments, but I don't regret my investment in Nikon.

Unknown said...

Lot's of interesting comments.

I am also at a crossroads.

I have a K-x, and it's been a wonderful introduction to the world of DSLRs, but I want to "step up". Improved autofocus tracking is one gripe, but the greater DR lure of FF is also enticing.

At the same time, I want to simplify. I'm currently changing lenses a dozen times a day, and it's getting old.

A combination of a 5D MkII with a Tamron 28-300 VC Macro plus DxO software to negate all the distortions, CA and vignetting caused by the superzoom sounds like a good way to step up and simplify at the same time.

I'll wait until Photokina first though...

Pentax Lens Review said...

I don't think "shame on you" ;) for thinking about purchasing a Canon or Nikon. You've made it clear that you're a die-hard Pentaxian, and accordingly it's not like you'll just dump it for another brand. You are right that Pentax cameras and lenses are very versatile, but I myself have looked into the Canon and Nikon lines for sports photography specifically. I mean, you see all those white lenses out there on the field when watching a game, right? They'be got some fast "stuff". :)

robin said...

These sorts of posts come up all the time and all I can do is shake my head. The answer to your dilemma is simple. Just buy the system that does what you need. It's that simple. If Pentax doesn't do it for you, then get a Nikon or Olympus. I don't see how shame comes into it at all.

The "need" for a new body when the current ones are perfectly fine just shows how suckered into the consumer lifestyle people are. Whatever happened to buying one body to last a decade or two?

Or to look at it a different way, what is it the K-7 does not do that a new body will do better? Will it make you a better photographer? Increase your sales? Enhance your blog writing?

I somehow doubt it.

Unknown said...

robin,

Life is not black and white.

It doesn't quite work like that. There are no "one" system that does everything I need or want. Also, I am truely a Pentaxian and would be in heaven if Pentax would have a camera that covers 100% of all the shooting situations and if I was rich enough to buy it all.

As for a camera lasting a decade or two, in this day and age, one year is the new decade.

As for "Just buy the system that does what you need. It's that simple." there is loyalty that I respect. If your wife doesn't do everything that you expected from her, do you replace her?

So the bottom line, It's never that simple.

Pentaxian KBE said...

Hello Yvon,

I belive the best thing to say is I need something that fills the gap that Pentax doesn't provide.
All in all a lot of People having Dual systems and most of them choose Pentax as their Casual Shooting.

Peace!

Unknown said...

yvon,

i'm at a crossroads too. currently, i have a Kx and my wife has a K200. i've had the *istDL, K10 and Km before.

although the kx allows me to shoot about 90% of my needs, i somehow need that other 10%.

my wife has told me to go ahead and get what i want (nice!), but for the 10%, another system is a real expensive option.

i've been doing mental gymnastics of selling off some of my gear to finance the "other" system, but it always lands back to my pentax system, but even so, that 10% doesn't get filled.

i'm hoping that Pentax will deliver this Photokina on improving what they are most deficient on in their DSLRs, namely low-light AF and AFC tracking.

This way, I don't have to make a hard choice.