Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Images of my trip to the Anza Borrego Desert of California. Pentax K-7.

Visitors to this page also like "Recommended Reading" on the right column. Email: brqyvn@gmail.com

Hi Pentaxian friends.

Maybe nature did not cooperate as much as I had hoped. The temperature in the desert reached 114 degree Fahrenheit at mid-day. It was so hot, that I couldn't touch any metal part on my Jeep. I spent a good portion of the day in the hotel's swimming pool, and contrary to what I usually complain about swimming pools, the water was too hot.

The town we were in, within the Anza Borrego Desert, is called: Borrego Springs. Before the run, I had time to drive around the small town, and discovered something unique. Dozens of  metal sculptures placed at random through the desert. As the story goes, a multi-millionaire , “Dennis Avery”, purchased land in the area, formed Galleta Meadows Estates in Borrego Springs and commissioned artist “Ricardo Breceda” to populate the land with sculptures of animals that roamed this part of the world in ancient times. This alone is a good reason to visit the region. Here are some of the sculptures:


Now, for the four wheeling night run...well it didn't go as I had planned. It was so hot that the Jeep did not run good. The fuel system had symptoms of vapor lock and I decided not to join. I wasn't the only one as about half dozen of vehicle owners decided not to join after all. None-the-less, I had a great time and made new friends. Here are some photos:

Sometimes it feels like the Jeep belongs behind my Chevy Silverado.

All photos were taken with the Pentax K-7.


Thanks for reading,

Yvon Bourque

3 comments:

Marisa said...

What a unique find in the desert! Nice Pictures too. :) I'm glad you had a good time.

Lloydy.53 said...

My two hobbies that I'm passionate about are photography and 4x4 driving.
I'm just sooooo envious.

I love the statues, great pictures.

Unknown said...

Lloydy.53,

You must be my twin in the UK. I was looking at your "About me" and you like Blues and Rock, which is also a passion of mine. I play Guitar. Do you as well?