Saturday, December 4, 2010

Christmas time, a time to reminisce

Visitors to this page also like "Most Popular Posts for the last 30 days"  on the right column.
Email: brqyvn@gmail.com

Hi Pentaxian friends.

Christmas time, a time to reminisce
Yvon Bourque
__________________________

A few years ago, while looking for old cameras and other junk at a flea market, I came upon a photography book. I looked at it, not with the intention of purchasing it, as I knew it was old technology. I just wanted to see how they were writing about photography some fifty-plus years ago. This was an ancient book, especially when you look at today’s technology.

I just wanted to see how they were writing about photography some fifty-plus years ago.
Although the principles of photography like aperture, shutter speed and sensitivity haven’t changed much, everything else has. The digital cameras are astonishing in comparison. ISO up to 51200 are possible with the new Pentax K-5. Continuous shooting at up to 7fps with the K-5, and faster, are common with advanced amateur to professional DSLRs. Lenses are now designed by computers and with the glass used along with the multi-coating; some lenses even out-resolve some of the current sensors.

Although the principles of photography like aperture, shutter speed and sensitivity haven’t changed much, everything else has.

DSLRs are lighter, more precise, dust proof, moisture resistant, and if we convert their current prices to film cameras of fifty-plus years ago, they cost about the same or even less. Technology has no doubt brought the world’s most popular hobby to new levels. What hasn’t changed is the enthusiasm and passion photography generates.

I did purchase the old book, “How to make Good Pictures” at the flea market, not to learn how to make good pictures, but because it reminded me how photography unites family. You see, while perusing through the pages of the old book, I noticed that it was given to a “Father” on Father’s day in 1952. It read “To my “Darling Husband” on “Father’s Day”- 1952 Love, Jeanne & Boys.

I still have this book and I look at it from time to time, reminiscing on my own journey and how photography has always been a part of me, how it has and still unite my own family..

Reminiscing on my own journey and how photography has always been a part of me.

Thank you for reading,

Yvon Bourque

No comments: