Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Venting about the Barnes and Nobles Nook Color. Like they say, if you don't have an iPad...well...you don't have an iPad.

Email: brqyvn@gmail.com

Hi Pentaxian friends.

A while back, around January, I purchased a new Barnes and Nobles Nook Color. At $249.00 it seemed to be a good alternative to the iPad, since it was giving access to the Internet and emails. Many applications were to be introduced in January. It was going to be a good Droid tablet. Although it is sluggist and slow, and that the touch sensitive surface is crappy, and that there are not that many books available, and that there are only two photography magazines you can purchase, and that the apps are mostly for children, it was okay for me. But...when I purchased a new book and an app, everything went down to hell. They took my money from my credit card but the book and app never dowloaded. The spinning wheel kept on spinning with no delivery of anything.

Finally, today I went to the Barnes and Nobles store in Florida, where I'm staying for the week. The Nook rep at the book store called the "Special" telephone number  to get my Nook fixed. They made him reset the nook completely and then all books, magazines and applications I already purchased were to be automatically be reloaded. Well, it didn't quite work out that way. They had me reinter my email, and wanted me to enter the credit card again. "I don't think so" I said, since the credit card had already been charged. I was afraid they would charge it again. "There nothing I can do" he said until you do and then you will have to call this 800 number to get the magazines, books and apps you already purchased. So I told him I would sell the Nook on EBay and purchase an iPad, which I should have purchased to begin with.

So, if you were contemplating buying a Nook, think twice. It's a piece of crap and has the a rotten servicet.

I will save my money and buy an iPad. Like they say, if you don't have an ipad...well...you don't have an ipad.

3 comments:

Fundy Gardeners said...

I just got an I pad 2 and and am working through the photography apps. It would be nice if to have I photo program on this as i work good for photos. A couple of good apps are Filterstorm Pro and Web Albums so if anybody out there knows of some good apps it would be nice.

Thanks

Anonymous said...

I have a Nook and had the screen crack. I had not bought the added "insurance" they offer, but the guy at the store "broke the rules" and allowed me to pay the money for the insurance and then he replaced it.
I didn't have to re-enter my credit card on the new nook because the credit card is entered on the webpage and not into the nook itself. I did have to log in and enter my password, at which point it downloaded all teh books and magazines I had already bought.
So it sounds like you didn't actually create your account on their website?

HENRY KISOR said...

I've never used a Nook but have been reading with a Kindle for eight months and absolutely love it.

I bought an iPad 2 with Verizon 3G a couple of weeks ago and absolutely love it, too. Reading with a Kindle is easier on the eyes, but definitely monochromatic. The iPad of course allows reading with color illustrations -- it's great for magazines.