Sunday, July 8, 2012

Apple iBooks...Sharing an email conversation with Al.

Email: brqyvn@gmail.com

 Hi Photographer friends,


Yvon, 
When you stated in part on your web site, that you can have the best gadget or software
in the world, but limit its distribution to only the equipment you sell, opportunities are
missed for both the author and the distributor, it reminds me of a similar situation
involving Sony.

Back in the video tape heyday, I heard many people say that Sony's BETA format was
superior to the VHS format.  Sony limited the BETA format to only their equipment,
and we know where that went eventually; nowhere!

Maybe the same end result will happen to Apple.

Cheers,

Al

*************************************************
Al,

I don't know that Apple would go out of business for the e-books publications, but if they don't change their attitude, Kindle and Nook will dominate the e-book market. 

Yvon
*************************************************



Yvon,


I didn't mean to imply that Apple would go out of business because of the e-book fiasco,

but rather that their iBook venture could ultimately not be the success that they hoped
for.  I would think they could license the technology and still make money.



I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to what's going on behind the scenes in the

photo industry, but from what I've read on the PentaxForums and elsewhere, where
would us Pentaxians be if Sony didn't license their sensor "technology" to Pentax,
i.e., what type of sensor would Pentax be able to afford to develop on their own.



I was one of those people who bought the Sony Beta system over the VHS system.

The only thing I remember after all these years is that I didn't have as many
commercial videos available in the Beta format.  But that was then, and this is now.



My observations, working in a Target (Kodak) photo lab is that more and more

people are taking their photos with the likes of i-phones, etc.; virtually all of the
really poor quality photos that I see are from those relying on a basic cell phone
camera.  I only have a (free with new contract!) cheap Pantech cell phone with a
2 MP camera.  I NEVER use it for taking photos, always relying on my K-5 that
I take virtually everywhere with me, even to work.



I can't remember the last time that I saw a guest come in with a DSLR of any make.

I've never seen one with a Pentax DSLR.  Even the point and shoot cameras aren't
seen nearly as often as the i-phones and similar products.



I know that you were totally involved with the iBook project, but I do miss your

daily photo postings that you started some time ago.



Take care.



Cheers,

Al

No comments: