Friday, November 23, 2007

Yosemite first day....As much traffic as New York City.

Click on pictures to enlarge.
We arrived in Yosemite National Park on Thanksgiving Day around 4:00 P.M. We actually stayed at a hotel in Oakhurst. This morning, Friday, we got up early and we were ready to go to Yosemite. I have never been here and I was very anxious to see the land that Ansel Adams dedicated his entire photographic career and life to.

The day didn’t go as planned in a hurry. As we actually got in the park, our car engine temperature got hot. After inspection, I realized that our radiator had a leak. I had to go to an auto part store and get some “Stop leaks” and luckily, it worked. Upon our return, around 10:30 A.M. there was a traffic line about a mile long at the entrance gate. The parking lots were as full as a Wal-Mart during a sale. We didn’t know, but the Thanksgiving holiday is the busiest day of the year at Yosemite. Hopefully, most people will be driving back home tomorrow. We will be here through Monday, so I know that we will have a chance to explore the park peacefully.

I did have a chance to take some pictures, but most were away from the hot spots, as there were too many people. We had a nice conversation with a couple by the river. They were relaxing in camping chairs, away from the crowd, while their dog (pictured above) was having fun in the water.

I everything goes as planned tomorrow; we will be there early and should be able to get some great shots “à la Ansel Adams” style.

Check the blog again, as I will post more photos every night through Monday.

Thank you for reading,

Yvon Bourque
You can email me if you don't like to leave comments yvon@k10dbook.com

2 comments:

Ted said...

Hello Yvon
Believe me when I say I understand about the traffic. We live up here
(actually Coarsegold) and go to the park often, but never on holidays. If you have time you may want to check out Nelder Grove of big trees, just above Oakhurst. It's one of the secrets of this area. Check my blog at www.sierracamping.blogspot.com
Best Wishes
Ted

Unknown said...

Thank you for your comments Ted. I have visited your blog site and like it a lot. You have a new suscriber. My wife has been coming to Yosemite since she was a little girl. We are indeed going to the big trees tomorrow. I will have some pictures of that tomorrow.

Regards,

Yvon Bourque