Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Test the new K20D CMOS 14.6MP IQ (Image Quality) sensor yourself right here.

Hi again Pentaxian friends,

There is a website in Japan that has several photos taken with a Pentax K20D for comparison purpose. I found this on a thread listed on pentaxforum.com. The Japanese site compares the same image for auto and manual White Balance, Exposure compensation and the same image shot at ISO 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600 and 3200.

The reason I am posting the images below is that you can enlarge the images to full size by clicking on each image. Then, you can save the images on your own computer and open them again with your image processing software. I used Photoshop but use the software you normally use. From the real images now on your computer, you can compare the IQ and you can also print the images on your own printer for a comprehensive evaluation, by none other than… yourself. If your software allows viewing the EXIF, you will see that all photos were taken in JPEG with the Aperture Priority mode and a lens set at 23.13mm.

ISO 100

ISO 200

ISO 400

ISO 800

ISO 1600


ISO 3200


I think it’s pretty impressive. What do you think?

Thank you for reading.

Yvon Bourque

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where is ISO 6400?
3200 in K20 is not an "expanded sensitivity"

Unknown said...

Error fixed, but ISO 3200 is a high enough sample to see how good the image still is in comparison to other cameras in this price range. I could expand more onthe subject, but I usually don't when the comments are anonymous!

Anonymous said...

Yvon,these pictures are blowing me away. I can't wait to get my hands on a K20D or a Samsung GX-20 if they are cheaper.

Anonymous said...

How does that compare with Nikon D3?