Monday, March 24, 2008

New "Old Stock" ! Vivitar 2X Macro-Focusing Teleconverter.

Hi Pentaxians and friends.

I haven’t written anything for the past five days or so. My daughter and my granddaughter were visiting and we spent some times at Disneyland, California. I will post about that later on this week.

I was in Claremont, California, last week for business. While there, I spotted a small camera store in a strip mall along Foothill Boulevard. After my meeting, I drove back to the store. The store, "Claremont Camera & Video", is located at 863 W. Foothill Boulevard in Claremont. Like many of the smaller camera stores, it is having a tough time competing against the “ B&H Photo” the “Best Buy” and the Circuit City” of the world. In fact, the store has turned into a predominantly Scrapbooking store.

However, they still have a lot of photographic equipment for sale. It’s what we usually call “New Old Stock”, meaning of course that the equipment is new but outdated or new but not being manufactured anymore. Small camera stores l can be found in many Towns across the USA and probably other Countries as well. You owe it to yourself to visit them and take a real close look at what they have. You won’t find much of the newest digital autofocus lenses and high-end DSLR cameras. However, if you know what to look for, you can get great deals, much better that you can on EBay for example. In the case of filters, tripods, camera bags and many more items, it doesn’t matter if it’s old stock. I spotted full cabinets with lenses and accessories. None were autofocus but I noticed several Vivitar 2X Macro-Focusing Teleconverters for Pentax, Nikon and Canon. The prices were still as marked back then, I suppose. I purchased some filters at bargain prices, step-up rings and the Vivitar 2X Macro-Focusing Teleconverter for Pentax. I paid $35.00 for it and although not autofocus, I think I found a pearl.


If you like to shoot in Macro, you probably found that it’s often easier to shoot in Manual anyway. I used my Pentax “A” 50mm f/1.4 and I am very pleased with the results. You get a 2X multiplier to begin with and you can adjust the macro mode by simply turning the rubberized ring on the barrel of the Teleconverter. It has a range of 1:1.5 to 1:20. The one I purchase has all of the connections found on “A” type lenses and therefore everything is compatible with my K10D and K20D except for the autofocus.

All of the flowers above were less than 1/4" across.

I haven’t seen any Vivitar 2X Macro-Focusing Teleconverters for Pentax on EBay, but I’m sure they can be found occasionally. Check out small camera stores in your area, you might be surprised at what can be found if you look carefully. Ask the store manager if they have any “New Old Stock” items not displayed.

It makes me wonder why they don’t make an autofocus version for today’s DSLR cameras. Let us know if you have found “New Old Stock” items too.

Thanks for reading,

Yvon Bourque

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Yvon, I gave a ring to the shop where you got your Vivitar 2x, and a gentleman, Anthony, said they hadn't had any in a while... Too bad, I've been looking for one, and at that price, I'd have picked up one for my young aspiring sister in law too. Were you just there recently, do you think this guy could have his wires crossed? I enjoy your blog, keep it up.

Cheers, Matt (Loudbay @ pentaxforums.com)

Unknown said...

FYI: That's not my email address, just my name @ Pentaxforums.

Email: mclauterbach@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Matthew,

I don't think they actually know what they have. I spoke with a girl when I was there and that's about 10 days ago or so. I just asked let me see this and that and how much? They had about 4 or 5 of the Tele-converter but I am not sure that they were all for Pentax. I should have bought them all and resell them on EBAY! I know they had some for Nikon, Canon and I think Minolta and Olympus as well. If you can go to the store, walk straight toward the back of the store and the items are in a glass counter to your right. I'm even giving them free advertisement and still...they don't know what they have. That's sad for the owner.

Yvon

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post, I would not have recognised this "little" adapter in the camera shop ysteday had it not been for your post. Cost me the equivalent of about $40, mine is used without a box, but these little gems are few and far between in South Africa. Still need to take mine out and play ... so little time.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree, this is a little gem. Here are some shot to see what the reproduction ratio / Macro ratio is like. First shot is taken with my Sigma 105 mm EX DG F2.8 @ 1:1`then I combined it with the Vivitar converter (@1:1.5)and finally for interest sake I fitted it to my DA* 16-50 mm to see what it would do to a non-macro lens.

Original photos at my flickr site:
http://flickr.com/photos/mhenn/sets/72157604465202888/

Thanks again for highlighting this converter.

Mactek said...

I purchased one of these on ebay and when I put it on my k10d it asks me for the focal length. Do you know what the focal length would be. I have tried multiple focal lengths but when I do i can not choose my aperature on the camera only shutter speed. I have the P/K-A R-P/K but with blue letters instead of green like yours. Can you tell me what I am doing wrong.

Unknown said...

Chad,

I'm afarid that you purchased the prior model that was for manual lenses. The model that works well has got all of the contact points on the rear of the lens like all Pentax "A" lenses. The only thing it doesn't do is autofocusing. They never issued a newer model with the autofocus. It seems to me that they would make tons of money re-issuing an updated version for today's cameras.

Go figure.

In your case, you have to use the teleconverter like a manual lens.

Mactek said...

After messing around with it further I figure that out. The only lens i have that it works with is my 50mm prime because i can manually adjust the aperature on it. Thanks for reply.

Anonymous said...

By the way, I saw one of the earlier manual versions (used) selling on eBay last night for $100. It's quite ridiculous the price one has to pay for used / discontinued pentax and pentax compatible gear.

s e a n said...

Dear Yvon,

I have been a K200D user for about a year and like many have said, Pentax make great cameras for the money. Also, I'd like to say that I enjoy your blog immensely.

The reason why I am commenting here is that I wasn't sure of any other way to contact you.

I have just recently purchased this same teleconverter from ebay. After receiving it today and eagerly coming home from work to test it, I noticed that it didn't read the aperture from my FA50mm 1.4. It was just the double dash. Same thing with my FA28-70mm f4. Is it meant to be like this? I would have thought that with the electrical contacts the aperture reading should show. Perhaps mine isn't working but I noticed you are using the Pentax-A. Maybe this Vivitar doesn't quite work with the FAs?

I would appreciate your advice.

Unknown said...

sean,

I believe this is the problem: I'm afraid that you purchased the prior model that was for manual lenses. The model that works well has got all of the contact points on the rear of the lens like all Pentax "A" lenses. The only thing it doesn't do is autofocusing. They never issued a newer model with the autofocus. It seems to me that they would make tons of money re-issuing an updated version for today's cameras.

Go figure.

In your case, you have to use the teleconverter like a manual lens. Check your teleconverter, it should be for Pentax K-A.

s e a n said...

Thanks Yvon. The version I bought definintely has the electrical contacts. Thats what perplexes me. In addition I tried it with a Pentax MZ-50 film body with no success again. I may have gotten a faulty example. I contacted the buyer who insisted it worked with a pentax super a. I will just have to see how this gets resolved.

Anonymous said...

The store on foothill is now in the past and closed over a year to this date of posting. Another smaller store off Indian Hill Blvd staffed by some of the previous employees started the newer store... it's tiny with little stock on the shelves. Time moves on.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://sapresodas.net/][img]http://sapresodas.net/img-add/euro2.jpg[/img][/url]
[b]adobe acrobate reader software, [url=http://vioperdosas.net/]faculty software discounts[/url]
[url=http://vioperdosas.net/]software shop london[/url] sell software in best academic software
software reseller business [url=http://vioperdosas.net/]accounting office software[/url] Edition Mac Retail Price
[url=http://sapresodas.net/]selling software[/url] store operations software
[url=http://vioperdosas.net/]filemaker pro 9 crack[/url] cheap kids software
adobe web software [url=http://sapresodas.net/]discount software microsoft[/url][/b]