Monday, June 16, 2008

My Stepson is hicking the Pacific Crest Trail. Too bad he doesn't have a Pentax DSLR.

Donovan and his Mother, in Tehachapi, where we met him for a weekend.
Newly found trail friends.

I am posting a little outside my usual Pentax blog Today. I love photography and try to take advantage of every chance I get to photograph nature at its best. My stepson "Donavan" is currently hiking the Pacific Crest Trail, which is around 2800 miles long. It starts at the Mexican Border and goes all the way to the Canadian Border. Every year, a handful of nature and hiker enthusiasts embark on this long journey. Most of the trail is at altitudes above 5000 feet and more. Not too many succeed to hike the entire trail. They usually start at the Mexican Border in April and get to the Canadian Border early fall. This is the only way to minimize the danger caused by the treacherous snow covered mountains on the North end of the trail.

I would like to hike that way and take nature pictures along the trail, but I am not in good enough physical shape to take on such an endeavor. We communicate with Donovan when he is able to call us. We send him food supplies that he picks up in various pre-determined Post Offices in small Towns along the way. He sends us back memory cards of video and still shots that he takes along the trail. Unfortunately, he uses A Sony digital camcorder and the "still” files are not as good quality as they would be if he was using a K20D or even a K100D. Weight is paramount to his success and he keeps all supplies and life saving items to the minimum weight. Therefore, I took some of his "Sony Digicam" best still pictures and enhanced them a little for posting here. I hope you enjoy them. Maybe some of you have hiked the PCT!

As for me, I use my Jeep Wrangler to go to hard-to-reach places. If the Jeep can't go, it means I can't go.

I only go as far as my Jeep will take me.

You can visit Donovan's blogsite at:
http://pctdreamitseeitdoit.blogspot.com/

My wife and I keep news and post pictures as he progresses on his trip, for friends, family, newly found trail friends, anyone interested in hiking, and you. My wife was raised around nature near Yosemite and Kings Canyon when she was a child. Check here for her stories about nature and wild bears.
http://pctdreamitseeitdoit.blogspot.com/2008/06/people-pictures-from-pacific-crest.html

Hope you enjoy it all,

Thank you for reading,

Yvon Bourque

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The following comments were meant for this post instead of the K20D e-book post...I think.


Anonymous said...
Yvon- In your Step-Son's photos, the "gentleman" with the horse," Primo", is Ed Anderson. Ed is in his 70s and is riding the Pacific Crest Trail this summer. As far as we know he is the only rider this year. He attended the starting party in April and has met most of the hikers along the way, reporting that they are, without exception, super folks. Because of Primo's needs Ed's Trail Angels meet him along the way with supplies, instead of using mail drops.

Keep up the good work and thank you. Just sent my order for the K10D book.

17/6/08


Editor: Yvon Bourque said...
That's very interesting to know that someone out there has recognized someone in the photos. When Donny (Stepson) is completed with his hike, he will identify all the friends he has met on the trail. Actually, he is shooting videos and stills and I will put a short film of his adventure. I will likely post more here and also on u-Tube.

Regards,

Yvon Bourque

17/6/08