Monday, January 12, 2009

I'm a Pentaxian, that's why I write this blog.

Visitors to this page also liked: See right column.
We honor reciprocal links.

Hi Pentaxian friends.


I received an email about a week ago, that was questioning my blog’s integrity. The email was critical about the use of my blog to sell my books. I mused over that email for several days and nights. I have to admit that I was and still am hurt.



This morning, I decided to get it out of my system and wrote this article. Yes, there is a lot to gain from having a successful Internet site. One only has to look at sites like Photo-net, DPReview, The Online Photographer, Steve’s Digicam, and many other sites, to realize that a presence on the internet can be lucrative. Those sites provide a living for the site’s creator and in some cases, for a staff of writers, photographers, technicians, etc. I do envy these entrepreneurs, but I know that I will never achieve this level of financial success with my blog site. For one thing, I can only write so much about Pentax cameras and equipment. I have a limited audience.

I chose to write about Pentax because I have used their equipment since I was a young man. It's a matter of loyalty. It is for a similar reason that I wrote my first book about the Pentax K10D. Books on Canon and Nikon cameras were easily available at any bookstore and on the Internet. Magazines were noisy with Canon and Nikon editorials, but very few articles were written about Pentax equipment. That’s when I decided to write my own book. With a budget of “zero”, I knew I was not going to be published. I printed the books myself, sold them on EBay and eventually on my own website. The K100D book followed and then the K20D book. I had a reasonable amount of success, but not enough to quit my day job… not even close. With the book market being dominated by Amazon and the giants of the publishing world, I finally realized that I couldn’t continue to print the books. I was spending my evenings and weekends making books. My time was never included in the margin of profit, and my time is my life.

I recently subsided to the idea of printing books and now offer them in “PDF” format so that they can be useful to Pentax users at a cost that is less than the price of most magazines or a meal at McDonalds. I spend about one to three hours every night writing this blog, and if you noticed, I make it a point of writing everyday. I don’t do it for the money. I do it because I love photography, because I like making friends all over the world, because I learn as much, if not more, from comments and emails I get, than the information I gladly share with all my readers. I do it because I am passionate about Pentax…in a word, I’m a Pentaxian.

I designed the AF Adjustment Charts, and they are free for the download. Even when giving them free, I had some hate mail about the design. I do not apologize for highlighting my books on the blog site. The miniscule amount I get from that, allows me to buy some glass occasionally. I have no “Google Ads” on my site and am not planning to have them either. I am not sponsored and do not have banners for B&H, Adorama and other photographic equipment vendors. More power to the marketing savvy of people that can profit from them. Maybe, just maybe, something lucrative will come out of this in the end. Maybe some publisher will make me an offer…not! Maybe someday, I can quit my day job, but I don't think it's going to be anytime soon. Amazon...you can buy my site, give me a salary, and I'll work for you the rest of my life!

Success can be measured in many ways. My success with this “Blogging” endeavor is not in dollars and cents, but in personal satisfaction. Several thousands of readers come this way daily and if someone can benefit from my articles, I’m good with that.

For the person that sent me the email, and you know who you are, I would be heading for the poor house if I were to count on my blog site for a living. I do it because I love photography, and this blog is my sounding board.

I do receive some good emails as well, here's some:

Good Afternoon, Some 18 months ago I bought a K10D and then, quite fortuitously, I had the happy happenstance to stumble across your book on ebay. That excellent publication has been most useful and has helped to make owning the K10 a much greater pleasure and I thank you for the book. That the book does lie flat when open is a pleasure.

Dear Mr. Bourque: My name is Barbara, and I have been a proud owner of a Pentax K10D since Nov. 2007. I have followed your blog and Pentax forum postings with great interest during the past year. Your knowledge and talent are amazing!

Happy New Year from cold cold Montreal. I'm a regular reader of your updates and want to thank you for the information and links you provide.

I think your book, and I just bought it, and your blog rock!!! thanks for creating this for us Pentax, users, and sentimentals.

Thank you so much for reading my blog.

Yvon Bourque

21 comments:

Mike said...

I bought your K10D book - which was the only one on the market (which tells you how little choice us Pentaxians have sometimes). I was pleasantly surprised how comprehensive it was, and even after a year or so I still go back to it. So in my opinion it was a real bargain.

Keep up the good work!

Mike Lambert

Bruce Robbins said...

Yvon,

I know it can be hard ignoring negatives remarks but you're providing a great FREE service to thousands of people every day and I'm sure 99.99% of them - all the reasonable ones - wouldn't begrudge you a little recompense for your time.

I get the same sort of thing occasionally at my blog where I do have some Google ads. They used to provide enough income for a weekly cup of coffee at McDonalds but things have improved and now I can afford about two cups a week! If anyone begrudges me that they're free to search out blogs with no advertising.

I could easily drop the Google ads tomorrow and not notice any difference but so long as I'm putting in the effort updating my blog as often as I can I don't see why I shouldn't get at least a little something - even if it's only the occasional cup of coffee.

Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Hi Yvon,

You should really dismiss those haters' messages. What's the point with these messages? Do they help you improving your blog? No, it's just that some people can't help being negative... and you will not be able to satisfy everybody anyway.

Instead, focus on the numerous thankful & positive messages you probably receive. In real life, you certainly prefer being with your friends and with who it is pleasant to discuss. It is just the same on the web.

So thank you for your blog, and for your time. Even if you were making a living out of those pdfs/ads/banners, as long as the content of your blog will be enjoyable you will have readers.

Keep up with your good work, and thanks again for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I don't think anyone should apologize for promoting some of their other work via a blog, you wouldn't be the first, many authors have blogs promoting their books. To the person that wrote the email complaining, I ask, is this your fist day on the Internet?

I shoot Pentax, and enjoy this blog, everyone else seems more concerned with the other brands (as you pointed out), it's good to find some Pentax specific writing. Keep it up.

Melvin said...

Yvon, just wanted to say how much I appreciate your blog. Just discovered it about a week ago, and I visit it every day.
I have just purchased a Pentax K200D, and I`m looking forward to the new series for beginners.
Thanks again for a great blog!

Melvin

Unknown said...

Don't take these hate-emails too personally. I like to follow your blog and hope you will keep on!

Take care, Ollivier (fellow pentaxian).

wk said...

Wow, hate mails for the AF Adjustment Charts? That's bizarre.

Nevertheless, I must say that I enjoy reading your blog ever since I stumble upon it, and appreciate your generosity to share your view and knowledge in the blog.

Thank you and please keep up the good work.

Don said...

Hi there, just wanted to voice my support for your blogging. Whether you are advertising your book or not, your blog is excellent and please don't let one dissenting voice bring you down.
Cheers, Don

Anonymous said...

Ignore the nut cases who have nothing better to do than criticize. Keep up the good work. I read your blog every day, as I'm a Pentaxian since 1964 and intend to remain one.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for your encouraging words. I was perhaps a little too "down" about that email. I feel much better today.

FM said...

Just a few words of support. Your blog has become a reference for many Pentax users. It's been truly useful and informative. The AF chart, for instance, has actually helped me diagnose a BF problem on my K10D and I've recommended it to several other photographers (even non-Pentaxians...).
I don't see any ethical problem with promoting your work in the blog. It's your blog, after all!

Anonymous said...

i read your blog (and others too)and i like it. keep on
grigoris

Anonymous said...

Yvon,

You have far more people behind you than against you, so just ignore the sour grapes. I wouldn't contribute to your blog if I didn't think it was providing the Pentax community with a great, free service.

Keep fighting the good fight!


--Miserere

Stefan Primbs said...

to sell your books as printed issues you may try lulu.com; it`s an interesting site for projects like this. With an own comunity.

Anonymous said...

Don't let it get you down Yvon, I bought your book and it has proved invaluable to me in my pursuit of "photography knowledge". Without it, I would not be able to get the most out of K10. Your blog is much more than a marketing board. The information that you pass on to all of us members is invaluable. Just keep on taking those great pictures and providing us with your insight into the art of photography. You make taking pictures fun. Between you and Mis, I have picked up tons of valuable info that I can use in my everyday picture taking. Keep up the great work and take care.

yours truly

Michael J. Costello

Anonymous said...

I live in NH, have a K10D, several old Pentax lens (some from my Spotmatic days). I have owned Kodak ( first degitals) and Canon DSLR's. I think that My K10D is the best camera I have ever owned. I will get a K20D as soon as I can raid my cookie jar.

The one thing I look for every day is your blog. I think it is great. I also bought your book on the K10D, and it was very well written and yes, it does lie flat. As soon as I order my K20D, I will buy your K20D book.

I do not care what other poeple say or think ( I live in NH and do not care about being PC). PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do NOT stop your blog. As far as I am concerned it is the only official Pentax Site. Please also do not forget that those poor people who bought Nikon's and Canon's only think they look cool, but in their hearts and brains realize that the Pentax is a much better instrument. But because they made the mistake, they have to bad mouth you and your blog and all Pentax owners since we have a better camera, better lenses, better flash and made a much better buying decision.Please keep up the VERY GOOD work.

CW Garre
Nashua, NH

Anonymous said...

Yvon,

Your book K20D is always on my desktop AND it's only manual type of book I have ever finished in my life so far! Honestly...it's first one (in my life so far) which I've read every single page! It's nice done for Pentax users :)

Your blog is one of very few I keep checking everyday...thank you for your time and effort to keep us update and learning so often :)

Anonymous said...

Do not worry about the crazy ranters on the Internet. Your blog and Mike Johnson’s are the two I spend time with every day. I have been a Pentax user for 41 years, and I still have that old Spotmatic, as well as my MX. Never owned a Nikon or a Canon – there is something unique about Pentax that inspires affection and loyalty - and you are a wonderful missionary.



My main camera is now a K10 D – and I have your splendid book. If you were to do an Amazon Associates section for Pentax equipment on your blog I for one would always buy my stuff through that. And if you really have a couple of thousand readers every day then you might make enough money to keep your lens collection up to date.



Anyway it’s a truly great blog you have there and wherever I am in the world I tune in every day.



All good wishes – Brian Dickie

Anonymous said...

Hello!

Its too bad that there are people in this world who have such myopia regarding life. Just ignore them, for they have no empowerment. What you do is not hurting anyone and brings joy to many; and I, for one, am thankful for your tireless efforts and time.

Be well and go in Peace.

Jeff
Summerville, Sc

Peaches N Curry said...

Forgot them haters Yvon, if they have issues with the focus chart of all things, then it shouldn't register on your radar.

Keep it up, your effort (and photos) are commendable!

-Somanna

KOne said...

I hope you've forgotten these idiots who have nothing better to write about. Just ignore them.

For the record, I am a proud owner of K100D and I love the information I get from you.

Keep it up!