Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The necessary Evils of Digital Photography.

Hi Pentaxian friends,

There are no doubt that digital photography has surpassed the film era with image quality, ease of use, instant dismay or pleasure (depending on your photographic aptitudes) and overall cost per image. Long gone are the wait for your slides or prints to come back from the Photo Lab. I guess it’s hog’s heaven for photographers all over the world.

Not so fast, I say! We all have to deal with the necessary Evils of digital photography. Shoeboxes full of prints and negatives have disappeared (I still have mine and they are chuck full of memories all cramped within the perimeter of my shoeboxes). Our images are now trusted to the “not-so-reliable” computers, hard drives and software, all destined to fail eventually.
(The cartoom character looks like Larry King, doesn't he?)

Case in point; it was the night before Christmas...when I had the brilliant idea of purchasing a new 320Gig hard drive. My photo station is a Dell computer with Dual processors running at 2.80 GHz and with 4 GB of RAM. I run Windows XP Professional with service pack 3, and use Photoshop Lightroom 2.2 and Elements V.7 for most of my post processing. I have an external 500GB hard drive for backup and the computer came with an 80Gig hard drive. It sounds like I know what I'm talking about, but I don't. I just know the lingo.






My decision to upgrade came after my computer slowed down with the main hard drive being at about 90% full. It got harder and harder to defragment the drive. I needed another drive so that my images could be stored on board the PC, on another drive than the "C" drive, and were quickly accessible. After all, the external hard drive is really just for security back up.

For those of you that use a Dell computer, although excellent machines and priced very competitively, you know that just about everything you purchase to upgrade should really be purchased from Dell, for compatibility. So I purchase and received the 320Gig drive and was excited to proceed to its installation. Surprise! I purchased the drive as a slave and wouldn’t you know, Dell forgot to send a SATA cable along. I drove to my local BEST BUY store. The sales person, was quick to tell me that they didn’t carry those kind of cables. I was walking toward the exit door when I questioned myself about the knowledge of the young lady. Wouldn’t you know it, there were several cables hanging on the pegboards, just waiting for the picking. After the physical installation, I had to format the drive, which took about two hours. There was my first night gone.



The following night, I transferred all of my image files from the “C” drive to my new “M” drive. That was a snap. I Started Lightroom and surprise again; my Catalogs were not right. There are no way, to my limited knowledge, to upgrade catalogs with new file locations. Lightroom was still looking for the files onthe "C" drive. It will not do a global search of all image files and catalog them automatically, at least not to my knowing. I’m certainly not a computer geek, I’m a photographer for goodness’ sake. So I had the stupid idea of doing a search for *.DNG files on all the drives. (I shoot RAW files only, saved in Adobe .DNG format) It gathered what I thought were all of the DNG files. I loaded them in Lightroom using “Import from drives”. Everything looked good, and I was able to see thumbnails of the files. The problem, as I switched from Library to Develop, remains that the software returns the following message: The file named “yada yada.dng” is offline or missing. I tried to import from: “Get photos from Photoshop Elements” which has all the image files tagged and cataloged. Here’s the message it returned. As you can see, it's really straight forward!




This has been going on for four days and who knows how long it will take to fix everything. I believe that I did loose some files along the upgrade and they were from the snowstorm we had, here in Sunny California, that comes by every thirty to forty years. In the meantime, I keep clicking with my Pentax DSLRs and getting new images.

It makes me cherish my Shoeboxes. I never had any problems with them. Oh, by the way, while reinstalling Lightroom to see if it would help, I got sucked into upgrading to the newer version 2.2. That’s another $99.00 down the drain, with no overall fix on the horizon. As I said before, I’m no computer geek, I’m a photographer, and a frustrated one at that.

Well, thank you all for being my sounding board. I was either going to write a blog about it or put my fist through the monitor. I’ll turn it off now and go to bed. Tomorrow’s another day. :-(

Yvon Bourque

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Yvon

Firstly, let me say I enjoy your blog immensely.

I do sympathize with you, it can be a nightmare. Not being an expert on Lightroom, so I may be wrong, but I believe if you had opened your images inside lightroom and in their file manager just dragged them to the new drive, you wouldn't have had this problem. The files would have been physically moved, and Lightroom would automatically have updated their new location.

All image files remaining would have been files you hadn't imported into lightroom, and they could be moved in the Explorer afterwards.

Now, since Lightroom can't find and identify the images, all your edits are also gone.

I would suggest that you do some intense search on Adobe's pages to see if they have any tips on how to recover this.

The good news is, you now know what you are going to spend your free time on in 2009.

Best Regards,
Vegard Nervik

John said...

Yvon:

My suggestion is to move all your files back to the old location on your D drive; create a folder on your M drive with some pictures; import that folder location into LR and then move your images from within LR2.2 instead of using the File Explorer. Also, check out the synchronization feature in LR2.2; otherwise you will be stuck to find each picture individually through the grid view in Library by clicking on the question mark in the top left corner of the photo (in the grid view of library). This is how I had to do it when I moved my library between drives.

John.

Anonymous said...

OH, HOW DO I AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been shooting since 1962, when I was all of 13 years of age, and started with a $60.00 Rollieflex, I think. (It was the bottom of the Rollie line.) No meter, obviously no autofocusing, and a screen that was optically reversed from left to right. It was the start of a love affair with film that lasted until approximately six months ago, when I was "forced" to go digital and purchased a 20d with three lenses.

Since that time, I have taken very few photos. Why? I really dislike the interface with digital photography. It is cold, very confusing and waaaaaaaaaaay to time consuming for postprocessing. As a speech/language pathologist, I find myself overwhelmed at the plethora of acromyms and find that the resulting confusion is widespread in many applicaitons.

Currently, I'm 59 years of age, quite alert and just think that film taught us how to judiciously compose and meter a shot and to make it count!!! Today, its just spray shooting (like a machine gun) and hope that one gets the shot. No real learning takes place. Also, developing film & printing was a learned art-form (I believe), and one learned chemistry to boot!!!

The problem with today's software is that one has to "go under the hood" (as in the hood of a vehicle's engine bay) very frequently in order to get it to work. That is just POOR and lends a distaste to photography that was unheard of just a short while ago. Tell me, do you also wonder when the next crash, lock-up, dialogue box pop-up telling you that all of your work cannot be found, will occur? I understand your sleepless nights. Windows truly is NOT a user friendly operating system. My next computer will definitely be a MAC.

This is not success & I truly miss film photography. I wish you luck.

Be well & happy new year to you and your family.

Sincerely,

Jeff