Tuesday, February 24, 2009

7 long days left before PMA09.

Only 7 days before PMA09, can you believe it? I am curious to see what new cameras will be announced at the show. According to Photography Bay, Pentax is to announce new DSLRs. I Quote" Expect some big news from Pentax at PMA. Hoya, Pentax’s parent, issued a statement with its second quarter 2008 financial results that revealed some of the things to come from Pentax in 2009, including 3 new types of DSLR cameras.

Here’s a quote relevant portions of the statement: Next year, we are planning to launch some three types, including minor design change versions, of single-lens reflex (SLR) cameras. With a desire to offer cameras which will demonstrate our advantages, as announced in the Photokina held in Germany, we will relaunch ourselves next year as a manufacturer of all-weather cameras which are strong outdoors, highly water-resistant, splash-proof, and dustproof, small and light, easily portable and tough (durable)."

I would be ecstatic if they would announce new DSLRs, but I doubt it very much. Please prove me wrong Pentax. We might be able to count the White K2000 as one of the new DSLRs. Pentax did announce further price reductions on the K20D and that usually happens when a new model is about to come out, or maybe it's because the economy is so bad that everybody is trying to compete for our business.

We all know that the world economy is in bad shape. The filing of Ritz for bankruptcy was apparently precipitated by Nikon and Canon wanted to have their money. Ritz owed them a combined $40 millions. I'm not sure that Pentax USA had $40 millions in sales last year. To me, extending a $40 million credit line to one company seems to show bad business sense from the part of Nikon and Canon. Sometimes, the bigger they are, the bigger they fall.

I will be at the PMA09 for all three days. Expect posts on this very blogsite everyday and maybe more than once per day.

Thank you for reading,

Yvon Bourque

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could attend. Don't got enough money.

流浪貓 said...

I hope this time pentax can give us something interesting.

Anonymous said...

Ask them when will there be a full frame.

Jan Moren said...

Long shot, I know, but any thoughts on updating the MF line? Not just the ever-rumored 645D, but also the film gear?

I can't be the only one that wishes for a version of the 67II with less mirror and shutter shake so it becomes truly handholdable. Or, maybe I am ^_^

Anonymous said...

Could you pester them about the crippled KAF2 lens mount? Nikon still puts an aperture ring indexer on the expensive DSLRs why shouldn't Pentax?

Don said...

Like you, I'd love it if they announced a K20D replacement, but I don't think it'll happen yet. Still, I'm looking forward to your reports!
Thanks, Don