Visitors to this page also liked: See "Recommended Reading" on the right column. We honor reciprocal links. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hi Pentaxian friends.
It's finally here. Let me first list the new features, then you can read all the details.
1. New smaller Magnesium alloy body
2. New 14.6 megapixel CMOS sensor rebuilt from the ground up
3. New 77-segment metering system
4. HD Movie capture (1280x720) with stereo sound capability
5. Dedicated AF assist lamp
6. Electronic level function
7. In-camera lens correction of distortion and Chromatic aberrations...imagine that!
8. Dedicated mirror lock-up
9. New High Dynamic Range (HDR) capture mode...in-camera...A fulfilled dream!
10. Composition adjustment in Live View
11. Real live view with AF
12. New 3 inch LCD with 921,000 dot resolution
13. 5.2 frame-per-second shooting with the new PRIME II image processing engine
14. Top speed of 1/8000 sec
15. 100% field-of-view viewfinder
16. Improved focus algorithm providing faster and more responsive AF
17. Shake Reduction (SR) updated to compensate for rotational sensor movement
18. New higher capacity battery (D-L190)
19. Advanced image capture settings including digital filters and aspect ratio flexibility, + more...
20. New optional battery grip (D-BG4) using new D-L190 or six AA batteries
21. New AF button on battery grip
22. New optional weather-resistant 18-55mm and 50-200mm lenses
Now the Official Pentax release.
PENTAX INTRODUCES ADVANCED PENTAX K-7 DIGITAL SLR
New Camera Boasts Variety of Technological Firsts and Major Improvements
Over Previous K Series Cameras
GOLDEN, CO. (May 20, 2009)…PENTAX Imaging Company announced today the launch of the PENTAX K-7 digital SLR camera.
This latest PENTAX K series camera is designed for advanced photographers seeking high-end design and features without the cost of a professional DSLR system. The PENTAX K-7 features a rugged, yet compact new body design, a new 14.6 megapixel CMOS sensor rebuilt from the ground up, and advanced features such as HD Movie Capture and new, unique-to-PENTAX camera controls. Compatible with every PENTAX lens ever made, the high-end K-7 features an abundance of long-anticipated new and improved features that are exclusive to the camera and combine to make it a tremendous photography tool.
“The K-7 will appeal to many current PENTAX SLR photographers who have been asking for more advanced features, but in a smaller, solid, comfortable-to-hold body,” said Ned Bunnell, president, PENTAX Imaging Company. “We also believe the combination of the K-7’s smaller, high quality construction coupled with the growing line-up of our Limited compact prime lenses will appeal to serious shooters who currently don’t own or previously hadn’t considered adding a PENTAX to their camera bag.”
The most significant features of the PENTAX K-7 that have never been offered before in any K series digital camera, and in some cases any camera, include:
· A compact, magnesium alloy body that is one of the smallest in the advanced photo enthusiast category to reduce bulk and allow users to travel light while maintaining durability and build quality (seven percent smaller than the K20D and up to 25 percent smaller than other cameras in the same class).
· A new 14.6 megapixel CMOS sensor rebuilt from the ground up to minimize noise, adds four channel output for fast image capture, and the ability to capture HD quality movies. It is the ideal combination of resolution and file size, allowing very large (poster size and larger) prints and cropping flexibility.
· A new 77-segment metering system quickly and accurately determines exposure for even the most complex and dynamic lighting situations.
· HD Movie capture features adjustable quality and resolution settings, aperture control, as well as mechanical Shake Reduction, and an external microphone terminal for recording stereo sound.* The K-7 will capture video at the default standard of 1280x720 resolution with a 16:9 aspect ratio (equivalent to 720p), 1536x1024 resolution with a 3:2 aspect ratio, or 640x416 resolution with a 3:2 aspect ratio (equivalent to VGA quality), all shot at 30 frames per second.
· An HDMI port with selectable output resolution (1080i, 720p, 480p, and auto) offers high resolution playback of images and video on modern high definition TV’s.
· A Dedicated AF-assist lamp further improves autofocus response and accuracy in low light conditions.
· An Electronic Level function ensures that images have truly level horizons to minimize post-capture editing.
· An innovative in-camera Lens Correction function that electronically adjusts for Distortion and Lateral Chromatic Aberrations to maximize image quality with DA series lenses.
· A dedicated Mirror Lock-up function eliminates image blur due to mirror movement during long exposures.
· A High Dynamic Range (HDR) image capture mode captures three images then combines them in camera to widen the exposure gamut to bring out detail in all exposure areas of images.
· A composition adjustment feature in Live View allows minor shifts in the framing and composition of images using the Shake Reduction mechanism without having to physically move the camera. This feature is ideal for tripod use.
· A programmable embedded copyright function preserves artistic integrity and image ownership during capture via a keypad that may record ownership in metatag data.
*Due to the compact size of the K-7 camera and the in-body Shake Reduction mechanism, a camera mounted microphone is a highly recommended accessory for optimal audio quality when capturing video.
A variety of K series camera features that are significantly improved in the PENTAX K-7 include:
· A striking 3 inch LCD with 921,000 dot resolution is perfect for detailed image or movie capture and review using the Live View function.
· A weather, dust and cold resistant (to 14° F or -10° C) body makes the K-7 the perfect camera for use in any environment, inside the studio or when travelling in any weather.
· Fast 5.2 frame-per-second shooting with a new PRIME II Image processing engine, which features fast circuitry and 4 channel output that is ideal for sporting events or any fast action situation.
· A top shutter speed of 1/8000 sec freezes even the fastest action in well lit settings.
· Live View mode, now with contrast AF, Face Detection, and optional histogram, grid, and bright/dark area display, allows you to quickly compose your images without having your eye against the viewfinder.
· A 100 percent field-of-view viewfinder (92X magnification) and bright focusing screen are ideal for accurate image composition and accurate focus.
· The PENTAX 11-point autofocus system features improved focus algorithms over previous generation K series DSLR cameras, providing faster, more responsive AF.
· The PENTAX-original Shake Reduction system now compensates for rotational sensor movement improving the sharpness of your images at the moment of capture.
· The K-7’s Dust Reduction system, improved over previous K series cameras, features a piezo-ceramic vibration action to the sensor’s low-pass filter for dust-fee image capture.
· A new high capacity battery features extended battery life, ideal for travel photography or video work.
· Advanced image capture settings, digital filters, and aspect ratio provide outstanding flexibility and creativity while minimizing the need for computer image manipulation.
· Custom Image modes with advanced parameter settings including new Key adjustment allow users to customize the processing mode to suit personal creative style.
Other K series innovations featured on the PENTAX K-7 include:
· Multiple exposure settings, including Green, Program, Sv, Tv, Av, TAv, M, Bulb, X-sync, and USER modes, provide extensive creative control over the exposure for photographers of all experience levels.
· Advanced white balance settings include highly customizable white balance fine tuning, color temperature adjustment, and post image capture manual white balance selection for perfect pictures in even the most difficult lighting.
· Dynamic Range setting with adjustable shadow correction brings out hidden or lost details in both highlights and shadows for even the highest-contrast, dynamic lighting.
· Dedicated PC socket for studio flash offers convenience for the studio photographer without adding hot shoe adapters.
· Advanced capture options include multi-exposure and interval shooting for creative special effects and time-lapse photography.
Along with the body, PENTAX announced a D-BG4 battery grip for exclusive use with the PENTAX K-7. This battery grip may be used in combination with the camera’s rechargeable lithium-ion battery to double camera’s battery life. The D-BG4 also accepts 6 AA batteries in a alternate battery tray for added freedom when shooting in the field. With a vertical shutter-release button, e-dials, AE-lock and a new focus button, the grip features the same weather-resistance, dustproof and coldproof construction as the PENTAX K-7.
PENTAX also announced two weather-resistant lens models developed specifically for PENTAX digital SLRs. The smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR and the smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR kit lenses feature weather-resistant seals to handle damp, inclement conditions. Complementing K series camera bodies, both lenses blend versatility with affordability, giving the casual photographer a broader canvas without having to carry a multitude of lenses.
The PENTAX K-7 body only will ship in July 2009 for $1,299.95 USD. The PENTAX D-BG4 battery grip also will ship in July 2009 for $229.95. The newest weather-resistant lenses will be priced at $199.95 for the DA 18-55mm and $249.95 for the DA 50-200mm. These products also will ship in July 2009.
Every PENTAX K-7 purchased includes an exclusive coupon for up to 15 percent savings on a variety of PENTAX products and preorders may be placed now at:
Enjoy a preview of the PENTAX K-7 and the advanced features the camera offers on the PENTAX youtube.com channel
PENTAX Imaging Company is an innovative leader in the production of a variety of digital cameras including weather resistant digital SLRs and compact, waterproof cameras, as well as lenses, flash units, binoculars, scopes, and eyepieces. For almost 90 years, PENTAX has developed durable, reliable products that meet the needs of consumers and businesses. With headquarters in Golden, Colorado, PENTAX Imaging Company is a division of PENTAX of America, Inc.
TYPE: Digital SLR
PRODUCT CODE:Body Kit: 17811, UPC: 027075155145
Type: CMOS with primary color filter and integrated Shake/Dust Reduction sensor movement system
Size: 23.4 x 15.6mm
Color depth: 8 bits/channel JPG, 12 bits/channel RAW
Effective pixels: 14.6 MP
Total pixels: 15.07 MP
Still: 14M 4672x3104, 10M 3936x2624, 6M 3072x2048, 2M 1728x1152
Movie (resolution/FPS): 1280x720p30, 1536x1024p30, 640x416p30
Quality levels: «««« Premium, ««« Best, «« Better, « Good
Dust Removal: Supersonic vibration to low pass filter
Type/construction: PENTAX KAF2 bayonet stainless steel mount
Usable lenses: PENTAX KAF3, KAF2, KAF, and KA (K mount, 35mm screwmount, 645/67 med format lenses useable w/ adapter and/or restrictions)
SDM function: Yes
Power zoom function: Yes
Type: TTL phase-difference 11 point (9 cross) wide autofocus system (SAFOX VIII+)
Focus modes: AF Single (w/ focus lock), AF Continuous, Manual
Focus point adjustment: Auto, user-selectable, center
AF assist: Yes, via dedicated AF assist lamp with SAFOX VIII+ system
Coverage (field of view): 100%
Magnification: 0.92X (w/ 50mm F1.4 at infinity)
Standard focusing screen: Natural-Bright-Matte III
Diopter adjustment: -2.5 to 1.5
Depth of field preview: Optical (diaphragm stop down), Digital
Type: 3.0” TFT IPS (In Plane Switching) color LCD with brightness/color adjustment and AR coating
Resolution: 921,000 dots
Wide angle viewable: Yes
Type: TTL by CMOS image sensor
Field Of View: 100%
Display Modes: Magnification (2-6X AF, 2-10X MF), grid pattern overlay
Autofocus: Yes, contrast w/ face detection, contrast, phase difference
Type: Retractable P-TTL popup flash
Guide number: 13 (100/m)
Coverage: 28mm wide angle (equivalent to 35mm)
Flash modes: On, redeye, slow sync, slow sync + redeye, trailing curtain sync, wireless
Flash exposure compensation: -2 to 1 EV in 1/2 steps
Type: Hotshoe (P-TTL, high speed sync available), wireless with PENTAX dedicated flash, X-sync socket
Synchronization speed: 1/180 sec
Internal memory: n/a
Removable memory: SD, SDHC
Ports: USB 2.0 hi-speed, AV out, HDMI out, DC in, cable switch, 3.5mm stereo microphone
Video out: HD (1080i30, 720p30, 480p30), NTSC, PAL
Printer interfaces: n/a
Power source: Rechargeable Li-Ion battery D-LI90, D-BG4 Battery Grip (optional) for second D-LI90 battery or 6X AA batteries
Recordable images: Approx 980 (approx 740 w/ 50% flash, CIPA)
Playback time: Approx 440 min
AC adapter available: Yes (optional)
Body dimensions (W x H x D): 5.1 x 3.8 x 2.9”
Without battery or removable memory: 22.9 oz
Loaded and ready: 26.5 oz
Construction material(s): Magnesium alloy shell over stainless steel chassis
Operating temperature: 14-104°F (-10 to 40°C)
English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Dutch, Danish, Swedish, Finnish, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Turkish, Greek, Russian, Korean, Traditional/Simplified Chinese, Japanese
Type: Sensor-shift Shake Reduction with rotational compensation (4 stops max)
Electronic level function: Yes, verification via viewfinder and top LCD panel
Type: TTL open-aperture 77 segment metering
Sensitivity range: EV 0 to 22 (ISO 100, 50mm F1.4)
Multi-segment: Yes, 77 segments
Center weighted: Yes
Exposure compensation: +/- 5 EV (1/3 and 1/2 steps)
Exposure lock: Yes
Exposure bracketing: Yes, 3 or 5 frames, up to +/- 2 EV (1/2 or 1/3 steps)
Auto: ISO 100-3200 (1, 1/2, 1/3 steps), Bulb mode up to ISO 1600, expanded range available to ISO 6400, auto ISO range selectable
Manual: ISO 100-3200 (1, 1/2, 1/3 steps), Bulb mode up to ISO 1600, expanded range available to ISO 6400
Auto preset modes: Auto, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Fluorescent (D, N, W, L), Tungsten, Flash, CTE
Manual mode(s): Yes, manual and 3 color temperature selections available
* WB fine adjustment available in all modes
Type: Electronically controlled, vertical run, focal plane shutter
Shutter speed: 1/8000 to 30 sec, bulb
Mode selection: Green, Program (P), Sensitivity Priority (Sv), Shutter Priority (Tv), Aperture Priority (Av), Shutter and Aperture Priority (TAv), Metered Manual, Bulb, X-Speed, USER, Movie
Green simplified mode available: Yes
P/A/S/M/B: P, A, S, M, B (extended modes Sv, TAv)
Date stamp: n/a
Digital filters (capture): Custom Image Function includes Bright, Natural, Portrait, Landscape, Vibrant, and Muted modes, each with gamut radar and fine adjustment of saturation, hue, high/low key, contrast, and sharpness (regular and fine adjustment scales). Monochrome mode includes adjustment for filter effects (green, yellow, orange, red, magenta, blue, cyan, infrared), toning (sepia warm/cool), high/low key, contrast, and sharpness (regular and fine adjustment scales). Other capture filters include Toy Camera, Retro, High Contrast, Extract Color, Soft Focus, Starburst, Fisheye, Custom Filter.
Data record: Folder name (standard, date), file name (standard, customizable), embed copyright
Mode selection: Single, Continuous (Hi, Lo), Self-Timer (12s, 2s), Remote (0s, 3s, continuous), Bracketing (standard, timer, remote), Mirror Lockup (standard, remote), HDR Capture, Multi-Exposure, Interval
- 5.2 FPS (40 JPG Continuous Hi, 15 RAW PEF, 14 RAW DNG)
- 3.3 FPS (unlimited JPG Continuous Lo, 17 RAW PEF/DNG)
Self-timer: Yes (12s, 2s)
Remote control: Yes, infrared (0s, 3s, continuous) and cable switch
Mode selection: One Shot (no data, basic data, full data, color channel histogram), Multi Image Display (4, 9, 16, 32, 81 thumbnails), Calendar Filmstrip, Folder, Magnification, Select & Delete, Movie Playback (no data, basic data, full data)
Mode pallet: Image Rotation, Digital Filter, Resize, Cropping, Slideshow, Save as Manual WB, RAW Development, Index Print, Image Comparison, Protect, DPOF
Magnification: Up to 32X, scrollable
Digital filters (playback): Toy Camera, Monochrome (filter effects, toning), Retro, Color (6), High Contrast, Soft Focus, Extract Color (6), Starburst, Water Color, Fisheye, Pastel, Slim, Miniature, HDR, Base Parameter Adj, Custom Filter
Still: RAW (PEF, DNG), JPG (Exif 2.21), DCF 2.0 (design rule for camera file system), DPOF, Print Image Matching III
Movie (compression): AVI (Motion JPG)
Functions available: 37