Sunday, June 21, 2009

Clarifications on this Pre-production Pentax K-7, with Firmware V 1.0, tested at ISO 100 to 3200.

Click the above picture to enlarge.

Clarifications: For those that have commented on this blogsite and other blogsites, that the high ISO shots were too noisy, consider this: The whole picture above was taken at ISO 1600 and the cropped image fits 36 times in the original picture. On my screen, the cropped image represents 7" on the horizontal screen and as you can see, the cropped image fits 4 1/2 times in the horizontal side of the full image. Therefore, if this example was printed instead of on your monitor screen, it would measure approximately 31" on the horizontal and 20" on the vertical. Would you look at a print that size six inches away? I don't think so. You would look at it hanging on a wall, at a distance of three feet away or more. Now back away from your screen about 3 to 4 feet and the noise becomes irrelevant. Of course, as always, this is my opinion. Also remember that the image has been resized to 600 pixel wide because the camera is still a pre-production model and we are asked not to publish any photos higher than 640x480 until the production K-7 is out.
Above @ ISO 100. Click for larger size.


Above @ ISO 200 . Click for larger size.


Above @ ISO 400. Click for larger size.


Above @ ISO 800. Click for larger size.


Above @ ISO 1600. Click for larger size.


Above @ ISO 3200. Click for larger size.


Above images @ ISO 100


Above images @ ISO 200


Above images @ ISO 400



Above images @ ISO 800


Above images @ ISO 1600


Above images @ ISO 3200



Visitors to this page also liked: See "Recommended Reading" on the right column. We honor reciprocal links. Email: brqyvn@aol.com

Hi Pentaxian friends.

I had some time on my hand today, and since I still have the Pentax pre-production K-7 updated with Firmware V1.0, I tried to test the image quality at ISO 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, and 3200. I placed the camera on a tripod and switched the Shake Reduction to off. I turned the mode dial to (P) and set the aperture to f/8.0. I used the CS-205 remote control. All other adjustments were at factory settings.

Of course the images were taken during the day but I will do a test at night as well this coming week. Because the camera is still a pre-production, I couldn't post the images full size. However, I reduced the image sizes and did nothing in Post Processing to enhance the images. The partial images are at 100% crop. What does 100% crop mean?

I am satisfied with these results, and I can tell you that the IQ is indeed better than the K20D images. Add to that the possibility to be even better when the production K-7 hits the market.

Thank you for reading,

Yvon Bourque
Post a Comment