Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Who's winning, the Digital Camera Companies or the Consumers?

Takes great pictures conveniently.



Takes great pictures but not so conveniently.

Visitors to this page also liked: See "Recommended Reading" on the right column. We honor reciprocal links. Email: brqyvn@aol.com

Hi Pentaxian friends.

Who's winning, the Digital Camera Companies or the Consumers?

Ever since the introduction of the digital cameras, the number of new cameras introduced yearly has just been obscene. We have observed these Companies introduced dozens of newer and “better” models every year. Each new model had or has some new gadgets promising better images than any previously released cameras. The frequency of new cameras has been so intense that some companies, not being able to keep up with the pace, had to close their operations. The bigger camera companies bought up most of these unfortunate companies, thus reducing the competition and getting ever closer to market control.

Are the new camera models that indispensable or are we being manipulated to believe that they will make us better photographers?

Taking pictures consists of controlling light. The process is relatively straightforward. An image is formed on the media, (sensor) with the correct proportion of light. This is achieved by reproducing a real time scene with a series of concave, convex and flat pieces of glass that form a lens. Using a relative or proportional aperture, shutter speed, and media sensitivity, the image is then captured by the media. That is of course an oversimplified description, as a good sensor is required, good glass is required as well as some latitude of good technology.

Are the Digital Cameras being introduced lately that much better than the previous generations? I don’t really think so. My oldest DSLR, being a Pentax *ist DS is capable of taking pictures just as useful than the newest models in 95% + of the situations. It just takes more time, patience and a good knowledge of photography. I will admit that as an owner of the new Pentax K-7, I use the K-7 almost exclusively. That is not to say that the camera takes better pictures…it’s just more convenient.

In the end, it’s the photographer…not the camera.

So back to my original question, who's winning, the Digital Camera Companies or the Consumers?

Thanks for reading and for your comments.

Yvon Bourque

5 comments:

FlashyThingy said...

My wife would support you 100% on this, hence no K7 yet.

P.S. I agree with you on the DS, I still have mine and use it as a second body during weddings and outings, it still takes awesome portraits with a FA 77mm Ltd or the FA* 85mm.

MikeW said...

I've had similar thoughts recently. I had my film cameras for ages; indeed, I still have them. They work great, although some have required a CLA. A new "sensor" involved changing film. My first digital camera was a K10D - a nice camera. I elected to upgrade it to a K20D, an even nicer camera. The K7 looks like a fine camera, too.

Elsewhere I read overwrought discussions implying that life will not be worth living if a full-frame digital is not forthcoming from Pentax or how the latest Canon or Nikon will lead us out of the wilderness and using anything else will tag me as a Luddite. Yet I think that I'll stay out of this bottomless vortex of new offerings and slow down. If worse comes to worse, I can get out my "medium format sensor" cameras (Yashicamat & Hassleblad). They do pretty well and are just as much fun. Come to think of it, I've seen some wonderful photos from cameras like these. And isn't that the whole point?

Brian Reynolds said...

The camera in the second photo above is a Canham DLC45. When I bought mine I told myself it was going to be the last camera I ever bought. At that time it was one of the few that I had bought new. My Pentax K-1000SE was the very first camera I bought new, and is still my favorite 35mm SLR.

Nine years later and I'm surprised at how many cameras (mainly digital) I have bought since then. Mostly I have been chasing the elusive "better" camera. There has been some improvement as I went from the Nikon Cool Pix 800 to the Pentax Optio 750Z, and recently to the Panasonic LX-3 (for my wife). The K10D was hands down way better than any of the digicams, but the jump to the K20D just wasn't that impressive, and marked the shortest period of time I've gone from new camera to new camera. I'll probably sit out the K-7. I handled one in a local store and didn't like the new ergonomics or menus. It will take a big price drop to change my mind.

By the way, the DLC45 turned out to be a great camera that I'm still taking photos with.

Unknown said...

FlashyThingy

My *ist DS is indeed light, uncomplicated and with patience, I can do everything it's big brothers can do.


UnderOpenWater

That elusive camera will never come. We all need to learn to use what we already have. It takes years to get to know one's camera, lenses combination and how to use them.

Brian Reynolds

The Large Format cameras were the best media and are still the best. Imagine a 4 x 5 or 8 x 10 negative!

James P. said...

I would say the companies are winning. Because many have the itch for the biggest, brightest, latest and greatest, individuals will run and purchase a new digicam w/o learning the one they just purchased 6 months ago. I worked in a camera store and believe me, it happened all the time. Yes, I would like to upgrade to the K7 from K200D, but for obvious reasons. However, I have taken the time to learn what I have and it took a good year to figure that out.