Monday, October 5, 2009

Devastating fires in California near my home. It is a place I visited often with my Pentax DSLRs.


The small mountain town of Wrightwood pictures above.

The above map is where the fires are burning. The pictures below were taken in the red circled area. I live in the Victor Valley area, which is close by. If you are familiar with by blogsite, I often venture in my Jeep to the San Bernardino mountains and usually show some photographs on this blogsite. In fact, we are going there for the upcoming weekend, and will camp atop one of the mountain. I will be taking pictures from there on the 10th, and will submit some to PentaxForums for the “PENTAX WORLD” GLOBAL SHOOT DAY: Saturday, October 10, 2009


The pictures of the fire above are not my photographs. They were imported from the News Media on the Internet.

The photos of the Yucca trees were taken by me during the course of several months. It will be a long time before similar pictures can be taken. In a few weeks, I will visit the area to see the devastation. I hope that some vegetation has survived. It was a spectacular place. I had never seen so many Yucca trees in one place.





Email: brqyvn@aol.com

Hi Pentaxian friends.

California has been plagued with more fires this year than since I moved here six years ago. This time the fires are too close for comfort and a beautiful area is burning down. This is an area that I photograph often and never get tired of the scenery. I don't know what will be spared, but I hope they contain the damages to minimum.

The following excerpts are from the Los Angeles Times and can be read in its entirety at the link posted below.

A fire in the San Gabriel Mountains has burned 3,500 acres, destroyed at least three houses and threatened hundreds more homes.

Several remote canyon areas and a portion of Wrightwood were under mandatory evacuation, and the rest of Wrightwood was under voluntary evacuation. Fire officials said erratic winds were pushing the fire in several different directions through dense forest land, in some cases spotting a quarter of a mile ahead.

The Sheep fire is roughly burning between Lytle Creek Canyon and California 138. The mandatory evacuation include areas east of Heath Canyon and west of Heath Canyon between Lone Pine Canyon Road and California 2.
An evacuation center has been set up at Eisenhower High School in Rialto. The blaze began about 2 p.m Saturday in the Lytle Creek area east of Mt. Baldy and west of the Cajon Pass. It spread rapidly northward, threatening ranches and truck farms, among other properties, said John Miller, a spokesman for the U.S. Forest Service.

More than 500 firefighters from the Forest Service and San Bernardino were deployed in an uphill effort to contain the flames. By this morning, the fire was only 10% contained.... Link

1 comment:

Realtor Toronto said...

Hi. Really unbelievable photos. It will be interesting to see the whole damage of the country. Hopefully, it will be not too big. I'm always sad when I see how is beautiful nature destroyed and the worst feeling is when you cannot do nothing against it. This is also proof the we should be very careful with dry areas like California.

Good luck,
Julie