Tuesday, December 28, 2010

This is for my brother, Roland, who just got himself a Pentax DSLR. "How to photograph birds".

Visitors to this page also like "Recommended Reading" on the right column. Email: brqyvn@gmail.com

Hi Pentaxian friends.

My brother, as well as my two daughters, now have or are in the process of getting a Pentax DSLR. That's going to be great for when I see them or talk to them. I will be able to talk photography to my heart's content. You know, when I get started talking photography, you can't shut me up!

Anyway, my brother asked me the other day about how to take pictures of birds. I'm not great at photographing birds, and where I live (Mojave Desert) there aren't many birds. Of course we have the "Road Runners" the occasional humming birds and plenty of black crows. Other than that, most bird species have more sense, than us humans, and they stay away from this giant  litter box that is the desert.

Ironically, my brother is a "snow bird" and instead of spending winter in frigid Montreal, he and his wife migrate to southern Texas each winter. They stay near McAllen Texas which is second only to Arizona for its number of birds that can't be seen anywhere else in the country.

Since I don't do birds, I found this great article about bird photography and I'd like to share that with him as well as all the readers of this blogsite. The author uses Nikon equipment, but everything he explains can be applied to Pentax shooters as well...well almost everything. For the photographers that do birds, maybe you can contribute more in the comment section. We all need to learn, don't we?

How To Photograph Birds:
---------------------------
By Nasim Mansurov
http://mansurovs.com/how-to-photograph-birds

Copyright - Nasim Mansurov
Bird photography, especially wild bird photography can be quite challenging. There are many articles on the Internet that cover everything from “bird photography tips” to “the art of bird photography”, but I found that many of them are not detailed enough and do not contain as much information for an amateur bird photographer. After several years of photographing birds, I decided to write this “How to photograph birds” guide and include everything I know about taking good pictures of birds. Since most of the bird photography nowadays is done on digital, the instructions below would work great for digital cameras. If you are still shooting film, just skip the parts that do not apply to film (such as RAW format, etc). Parts of this article also apply to birding or bird watching, so if you like birds and just want to be able to approach and watch them closely, read the Locating Birds and Approaching Birds sections only.

Note: This guide will work for any DSLR camera, but since I am a Nikonian, I will only cover settings for Nikon DSLRs and provide detailed information on Nikon lenses that are best for bird photography. This guide could be used for any type of wildlife photography, but I will be concentrating on fast-moving birds and birds in flight, so if you are taking a picture of a fast-moving animal, feel free to use the same camera settings. Continue to read this article on this site: Masurovs


Copyright - Nasim Mansurov
My hat to Nasim Mansurov for a great job of explaining this specialty photography.

Thanks for visiting,

Yvon Bourque

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Yvon,
I always read/heard that people who really get into bird photography will eventually choose Canon/Nikon because of their excellent zoom lenses. And the fact that they have so many to choose from? What lens did you suggest to your brother for his new camera?
-Somanna

Unknown said...

Tokina 400mm f/5.6 SD SUPER LOW DISPERSION. This lens comes on EBay every now and then. It usually sells around $250.00. It's a manual lens, with the "A" position so the information between the lens and the camera exists. All you have to do is to manually focus. It's not the greatest lens for bird-in-flight photography but with practice, it can be done. It's not the fastest lens (f/5.6), but with the high ISO capabilities of the current DSLRs, that's not as important of a factor as it used to be with film cameras. If you have money, Sigma makes several great lenses to 500mm. Of course the new Pentax DA* 300mm is a great lens but maybe a tad short. You want 400mm to 600mm+. A good tele-converter can also produce some good results by cropping the peremiter of the image.