Friday, June 24, 2011

So how small is the new Q system from Pentax? It's really small. Take a look.

Email: brqyvn@gmail.com

Hi Pentaxian friends.

The forums are already buzzing with negative opinions as to how bad the image quality of this new small sensor will be. "Pentax made a big mistake", they say. And these remarks come from Pentax Forums., I just don't get it.

Now, how can anyone have an opinion of something they haven's tried themselves? It is a small sensor, but it's a new sensor with remarkable improvements and I won't judge the IQ before I can put my hands on one. DPReview will have a full review, I'm sure, and we'll see what they have to say. This little camera produces RAW files as well as the JPG files.

Are you a "fair weather" friend of Pentax? Pentax has a reputation of thinking outside the box, and they just did that again. If you look at the innovations that Pentax has introduced on the market during it's existence (The Pentax Name) , you might not criticize them just yet. Color DSLRs was a stupid idea from Pentax, we heard during the last few years. Now...Canon and Nikon are producing color DSLRs and it's the "in" thing.

Let's just wait and see, I bet it's going to be another success and the other companies will try to imitate Pentax down the road. History will repeat itself.



Now take a look at the pictures below, is that a small camera or what?


I think this picture was taken by Ned Bunnell in New York City.





It definitely reminds me of the 1970"s Pentax 110 with interchangeable lenses.

The copyright for all of the above images does not belong to me, and are used strictly to show what the new Pentax Q-system looks like.


6 comments:

Nathan Chilton said...

I'm one of those who doesn't get it. I mean, it is a cute little camera. If it was only $400, I might consider it. But, then again, I could get a Canon S95 or an LX5 for that price, with a bigger sensor.

I just don't see the value in interchangeable lenses on cameraphone-size sensor. For me, the best (and only) reason for a small sensor camera is to have a very compact camera that I can have with me anywhere.

No matter how good the image quality is from this sensor, its size limits it to snapshots. Why would you build a system around a camera like this?

A compact, mirrorless camera with an APS-C sized sensor would make sense. A competitor to the X100 would be welcome.

If they made a micro four-thirds camera, that'd be great, too! That would make sense to me.

But a new mount? for a seriously expensive little camera with a super tiny (cell phone size) sensor? a magnesium-alloy body? really?!

I just don't get it.

Unknown said...

there are a lot a people who have cameras that don't know the first thing about camera sensors. All they know is cameras take pictures and they take them to the photolab and print them out.
I would say this may not be for a professional but it would be great for anyone who travels, who needs and wants a little more control with thier camera and not have to lug a slr or even a mirrorless 4/3 camera.

The price might be a little high but why not start high and see what the market will buy it for. I'm sure it will settle about 5oo at some point.

WHO WOULD WANT ONE OF THESE
JAMES BOND.

Fred said...

I'm pretty sure that the IQ will be very good, FOR A 1/2.3 SENSOR.

The problem is that the Oly XZ-1 lens goes as wide, goes longer, and is faster at F1.8-2.5. Oh, and it sits in front of a 1/1.63 sensor.

And it's smaller.

And you don't need to change lenses.

And it just over HALF the price.

That's why everyone is being a debbie-downer on the Q - it's pointless.

stanleyk said...

I'm a long time Pentax user (currently on the K5) and have all their 31, 43, and 77 as well as all the Limited lenses. I also use an EPL2 and Fuji X100.

I read the Pentax forum from time to time. Talk about your whiny Debbie Downers.

This camera isn't for the vast majority of people on that forum who really seem like they just want a Canon or Nikon. Which sort of begs the question, which I have posited there, as to why they don't just buy one. The constant "I want a Full Frame" camera posts are kind of sad. BTW- Both Canon and Nikon make very good Full Frame cameras.

This camera isn't for the wedding photography "pro" crowd.

It's for folks who like the Lensbaby or Diana (both of which I use) and prefer art photography to say for example sports photography. I'm not saying one is better than the other they are just different.

I'll probably buy one, just not this year. I'm having way too much fun with the X100.

Nathan Chilton said...

I don't mean to whine. I bought into the Pentax system and now have a K10D, a K-7, and seven lenses. Yes, part of it is that I would much rather have seen a FF camera announced, rather than the Q.

I know that "there are a lot a people who have cameras that don't know the first thing about camera sensors". and that "All they know is cameras take pictures and they take them to the photolab and print them out."

However, do these people spend $800 on a camera? Actually, they might, now that I think of it. Most non-photographers I know that buy a DSLR, buy it mostly due to the "shutter lag" (usually focusing time) of the typical point-and-shoot.

If this camera can focus as quickly as a DSLR, and yet be so small, I'm sure there are people who would rather buy this instead.

Suecae Sounds said...

Looks nice. Prices will probably plummet eventually.