Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Still a Pentaxian, but swapped Ms. Peggy for a travel trailer (a caravan for the rest of the world). Turning it to a mobile living space and photographic studio...any ideas?

"Ms. Peggy" being towed by "Sam" the Chevy workhorse.

"Ms. Peggy" at her best.


Hi Pentaxian and photographer friends,

If you followed my blog through the years, you already know that one of my favorite photography tool was my Jeep "Ms. Peggy".  She  would bring me to photographic  places that I couldn't have reached by myself. That was then... but this is now: I purchased a 1990 Prowler Travel trailer for a few thousand dollars. Here in California, they don't deteriorate and rust like some parts of the Country. Although I have to do quite a bit of work to get it to my liking and to the reliability of a new trailer, I might have $4,000 to $5,000 invested by the time I'm completed with the restoration...compared to about $12,000 to $20,000 for a brand new one. This being a working project, I will invest money a little at a time rather than getting a loan like most new RV owners have. I prefer the pay-as-you-go method rather than the pay-forever method.

The Jeep "Ms. Peggy" was a great tool for my photography, but I believe that the Travel trailer, which we baptized "Freedom" will even be a greater tool.  "Sam", my Chevy Silverado pick-up truck will be pulling "Freedom" . It was pulling the Jeep when we would go far from home and it's equipped with a big V8 and has the appropriate factory tow package. In the immediate future, we will be able to travel to Yosemite, and other Southern California State and National Parks. I intend to equip the Travel Trailer with everything that I will need as a photographer and everything that my wife will need to be a good traveler. "Like they say, if Momma is happy, everyone else will be happy".

This is where I need some opinions and ideas from photographers that already experienced life on the road with a motor homes or travel trailer, or just good ideas from anyone.

Of course, it will be equipped with computers and all the same software I use at home, like Photoshop, Light Room, etc. Some cabinets will be modified to hold cameras, lenses and equipment. With a generator on board, printing will be available within, no matter where we are. I plan to build a platform on the roof of the trailer so I can get a better vantage point when necessary. Ansel Adams had one on  his car:



This blog is also posted on Google+, Facebook and Twitter and sent as email to many subscribers. My email is also listed at the top. Please send me what you would installed on this Travel Trailer, to turn it into a photography studio on wheel.  My long term plan is to travel the US and Canada with it and publish pictures of the great places we visit along the way. Eventually, my trip will be documented on the internet, via whatever the best media will be in a few years ahead.

Without being to obnoxious, I would like to have some small graphic on the trailer to indicate that my identity and passion is photography. What do you suggest?



The two pictures above are the trailer the day I bought it.

The image above shows the trailer after my first Month of ownership. It was painted and re-striped, it got new wheels and new decals. The interior was updated with a new bed, carpet,  curtains and blinds. A new drinking water pump and a new AC were installed, and a new stereo system, two flat screen TVs and computers. The work is in progress.

Thanks for reading, and I hope I get some good ideas...please no over-the-top (pun intended) ideas. I'm not inspector gadget.

Yvon Bourque

1 comment:

Ken said...

I was wondering what a travel trailer was, it is what is known as a caravan in Australia.