Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The new generation of photographers, iPhone, smart phones and mirror-less cameras.

Cellular phone, Digital camera and video cam, computer, all in one small package.

Email: brqyvn@gmail.com

Hi Photographer friends,

The new photographers

You would have to live under a rock not to know how far photography has evolved in just the last few decades. It’s pretty much a given, when you talk to someone about photography, that you are talking about digital photography. Chances are that if you are under twenty years old, you never used a film camera in your life. That’s not a bad thing, it’s a good thing. 

Technology has evolved so much, that even an iPhone can capture equal or better pictures than most of the currently available digital point-and-shoot cameras. The new iPhone 4S has a Sony 8-Mega Pixel backside-illuminated CMOS sensor and a newly designed f/2.4 lens with an equivalent focal length of 38mm (when compared to a 35mm camera). It can produce good 8” x 10” print and even bigger. However, less and less people care about printed images.

I my  SLRs cameras but I guess technology is about to pass me by if I don't do something soon.

The newer generations of photographers don't make prints, they share their images on the Internet and  email them to each other. There is nothing wrong with that, it's a young people's world after all, and it has always been that way. Did you know that Flickr has more images posted that were taken by iPhone, than any point-and-shoot or DSLRs. It's just so practical. The iPhone (or other smart phones) are with you all of the time. You can take a still image or a good video, and post that on the Internet in minutes.


Big and heavy DSLR, my favorite type of camera, in Pentax, Nikon and Canon.

The size is obviously an advantage. Speaking of sizes, DSLRs have to be somewhat bulky because of the prism and mirror.  Sony has recently announced the NEX-7, a compact digital camera with interchangeable lenses, 24 MP sensor, great Electronic View Finder, tilting LCD screen, and top-notch image quality.

Sony new NEX-7
I love my DSLRs, but soon, I too will probably get a mirror-less camera because it just makes sense and it's so portable. Companies have tried for several years to introduce a good mirror-less camera, but the Sony is the first that makes a lot of sense. It has an APS-C sensor with 24 MP. Now that's the wave of the near future.

I will always keep my DSLRs, as I also kept many of my 35mm SLRs, now gathering dust... but I like to look at them. They will soon have new companions...the DSLRs.

You either go with the flow or you are left behind. The day I stop going with the flow, is the day I will start pushing daisies.

Thanks for reading,

Yvon Bourque

No comments: