Wednesday, September 3, 2008

I'm getting an inferiority complex.

I'm getting an inferiority complex.

When Pentax introduced the “PENTAX Photo Gallery”, it seemed that any pictures sent were accepted. I was too busy then writing books about the Pentax DSLRs that I never entered any of my photos. Months and Months went by and I decided to submit some of my photos. Surprise, surprise! My first ten photos were declined, then my next twenty photos were also declined, and since the day I submitted my first photo, I think I submitted about one hundred and none have been accepted.

I am developing a serious inferiority complex. Is there a special trick to submit my photos so at least one is accepted? I see an awful lot of flower pictures. Yes, flowers are pretty, but there isn’t all that much composition in it. Then, in the voting section, I voted for about five hundred submissions one night. Some were good, some were extraordinary and some were just plain bad. I see that it’s not uncommon for someone to submit dozens of pictures or more of the same place, in color, in black & white, from every angles, etc. This must slow the judging process tremendously.

I suspect that some groups of photographers could vote for each other, bringing their acceptance to a higher level. No, there are no names attached to the submitted photos, but how hard would it be for a group of photographers or friends to email each other with which photo to look and vote for. This is just one possible way of beating the system, although I have absolutely no proof that anything of that sort is actually happening. Is there a special code in naming your photograph?

I am simply hurt that none of my photos was accepted.

I have included just a few of the submitted photos here. I would be interested to hear from the readers what my photos are lacking. I know I’m no Ansel Adams, but I thought I had some photos comparable to what is displayed in the PENTAX Photo Gallery.

Oh well, the important thing is that I like them and my family and friends tell me they like my photos as well, although they may not want to hurt my feelings.

Thank you for reading,

Yvon Bourque

7 comments:

nirudha said...

One thing I have noticed is that a lot of photos on the gallery seem to show very little signs of post processing. Perhaps this has something to do with showing off the capabilities of the cameras and glass.

Your images are great but they do seem to have a bit more PP. But hey I maybe totally off here :)

NptPrchr said...

I got one photo approved in the PP Gallery. Everything else has been rejected. Your photos look great. I would've guessed that many of the ones above would have been approved. Why weren't they? Unknown. Just know you're not the only one who is frustrated/bewildered by the approval process & criteria at the PPG.

Anonymous said...

The only one I could see in the Pentax site would be the field with sprinklers, as for the others they all lack somethjing or give to much to see. Purple flowers; no purposes. The girls looks too devilish. The climber should be portrait, not landscape.The rocky mountain, on the left the branch is in the way. The fisherman...bad body posotion. The bug is great but missing a part of a leg and the background is weird, I knoe it is spur of the monent.The seds in the field, I don't see where is the interest. Again the sprinklers are great. THe wind mills, the last quart of the bottom is too much, crop my fiend, crop. Flowers, should be portrait not landscape and too much stuff in right side, nice pp. Flamingo, well it doesn't look natural, looks cheap camera. The nest one, what's the point? The shed isn't bad but your horizon should have been fixed before shooting it. The river looks HDR and not, it's a bit lifeless. When you shoot and edit try to visualise what people would like about you pics, what is standing out or is it the whole picture. We all do the same mistake, we assume too much. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your constructive comments and suggestions. I am taking notes.

NptPrchr said...

So, I think you ought to resubmit some of these w/ some of the above-mentioned criticisms corrected. I would especially like to see that one of the windmills re-cropped and resubmitted -- and a little larger. :-)

Anonymous said...

If only my pictures were half as good. I think your pics are great Yvon.

Anonymous said...

I was in the field again today, shooting birds. I decide to look at others doing the same, I was surprised on how people take pictures!, They don't compose, it's like the they are target practicing! Hold on to your horses please. Take the time to frame properly pull back, look in the view finder, not live view,erk! Learn on how to adjust your settings on the fly. There will another bird another time! The same with shooting landscape, please frame, take your time and look at what's nice to shoot, imagine what it is going to be like to print, no vision, no illusion, no result! Mike wished that his pics where half as good, please Mike buy a good book, a couple of good mags, change location, compose and frame, take multiple shots, framed differently, and voilĂ , you created and illustrated something new and different. Capture the moment. Start with dead stuff, buildings, waterfront, local parks, national parks, find a theme to shoot at, like doors, cars, angled stuff, nobs, buiding corners, churches, then move on people, animals. Start buying new lenses to learn a different view, don't panic, don't hesitate but take your time and compose. View it in your head, look at others doing it. Enroll in a local camera club, DON'T BE AFRAID! Go out all of you and have fun, after all the purpose of it is to have fun, equipment is irrelevant, up to a point. Have fun kids.