Wednesday, September 3, 2008

I'm getting an inferiority complex.

I'm getting an inferiority complex.

When Pentax introduced the “PENTAX Photo Gallery”, it seemed that any pictures sent were accepted. I was too busy then writing books about the Pentax DSLRs that I never entered any of my photos. Months and Months went by and I decided to submit some of my photos. Surprise, surprise! My first ten photos were declined, then my next twenty photos were also declined, and since the day I submitted my first photo, I think I submitted about one hundred and none have been accepted.

I am developing a serious inferiority complex. Is there a special trick to submit my photos so at least one is accepted? I see an awful lot of flower pictures. Yes, flowers are pretty, but there isn’t all that much composition in it. Then, in the voting section, I voted for about five hundred submissions one night. Some were good, some were extraordinary and some were just plain bad. I see that it’s not uncommon for someone to submit dozens of pictures or more of the same place, in color, in black & white, from every angles, etc. This must slow the judging process tremendously.

I suspect that some groups of photographers could vote for each other, bringing their acceptance to a higher level. No, there are no names attached to the submitted photos, but how hard would it be for a group of photographers or friends to email each other with which photo to look and vote for. This is just one possible way of beating the system, although I have absolutely no proof that anything of that sort is actually happening. Is there a special code in naming your photograph?

I am simply hurt that none of my photos was accepted.

I have included just a few of the submitted photos here. I would be interested to hear from the readers what my photos are lacking. I know I’m no Ansel Adams, but I thought I had some photos comparable to what is displayed in the PENTAX Photo Gallery.

Oh well, the important thing is that I like them and my family and friends tell me they like my photos as well, although they may not want to hurt my feelings.

Thank you for reading,

Yvon Bourque
Post a Comment