Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I may start shooting 35mm again...NOT! Maybe now and then.

Hi Pentaxian friends,

Yesterday, I bought two rolls of Fujicolor Superia, ISO 400, 35mm film and loaded my Pentax PZ-10, which is just one of my Pentax 35mm collection. My goal was to see what my current Pentax DA and DA* lenses would capture on a 35mm film frame. I don't have that many DA and DA* lenses, but this is what I have and what I mounted on the PZ-10. Pentax DA 10-17mm, DA 16-45mm, DA 50-200mm, DA Limited 70mm, DA* 200mm and DA* 300mm.




The intention was to take a picture with each of these lenses, and see how much of the image would show vignetting, if any. In the case of zoom lenses, one picture would be taken at the widest angle and one at the narrowest angle. I assume it would take about a week to have film developed and also have the images burned to an archival CD. Following that, it was my intention to write an article about the results, on this blog, along with the resulting images. I am still going to do that, but I was pleasantly surprised at how cheap and fast my film could be developed and the images transferred to a CD.

You see, I was remembering on how long this would have taken when I was shooting rolls of 35mm and sending them off to a Lab in Florida. I took the photographs today and went to my local Costco store tonight to have the film developed. To my surprise, the girl at the counter told me it would be ready in one hour. I had other errands to do and I will only be able to pick them up tomorrow. So I will still write my article, but sooner.

The roll of film was around $3.00 and the processing, including 4 x 6's and the archival CD is going to cost $3.99. With one hour processing, I think that I can occasionally go back to shooting film. It's not quite as fast and as cheap as digital, but it's would be fun to go back to the basics from time to time. At the very least, It will make me appreciate the technical advancements that was achieved with the digital cameras.

So stay tuned, for the results of the DA/DA* lenses experiment when used with a full frame camera.

Thanks for reading,

Yvon Bourque

P.S. Tomorrow, is the opening of the "PDN - Photo Plus Expo" show in New York City. Pentax will be there. I will have some news about the show and a downloadable pamphlet of the new K2000 DSLR.

No comments: