Monday, December 22, 2008

Fun in the Snowstorm

by Miserere


I was very envious of Yvon the other day, driving around the snow taking pictures, so I decided I wouldn't be left behind in the snow picture-taking department. Of course, I was missing a few a things. There are no deserts around Boston, I don't have a fancy red jeep, and my wife just laughed at me when I asked her to come take photos with me in the cold. Oh, and there was no snow. That last one really foiled my plans.

As luck would have it, the same storm that dumped a few inches of snow in the Mojave Desert kept working its way across the United States and eventually made it to Boston last Friday, December 19. It started snowing around 13:00 and by the time I left work to head home a little before 18:00 we had several inches of snow. The worst part was that it was still snowing and the wind was blowing quite fiercely, making me wish I had snow goggles.

I'm not one to turn down a photo opportunity, so I bundled up, put my K10D inside my jacket, and went outside. Taking pictures was tricky because I had to keep snow from blowing onto the front of the lens...and my fingers from freezing. I was using an old manual-focus Kiron 24mm f/2, so focusing was also challenging. Most of the time I just kept the lens at the hyperfocal setting or guessed the focusing distance. Have I ever mentioned how much I enjoy using old lenses?

Here are a few photos taken during my trek home. You'll be happy to know that I didn't lose any fingers in the process and the K10D performed admirably. Note the snow flying sideways!






Thanks for reading.

Miserere

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Our snow is all gone except on the mountains at elevations higher than 5000ft. Your snow is just starting. You will have plenty of opportunities to do it again and again. I particularly like the one with the tractor pushing the snow. It suggests movement in a quiet environment.

Anonymous said...

You are quite right Yvon, I'll have *plenty* of opportunities to take more pictures of snowstorms :-s

My favourite is the first. I like the little kid crawling through the snow. He was having so much fun!