Saturday, January 31, 2009

My Personal Pentax Lens Buying Road Map. What's yours?

Visitors to this page also liked: See right column.
We honor reciprocal links.

Hi Pentaxian friends.

Lately I have been thinking about how much investment I have in Pentax glass. If I were to re-purchase all the Pentax lenses I currently own, at the manufacturer's suggested price, I would be approaching the $10,000 mark. It hit me like a freight train. Then, because I own these lenses, I have filters in all sizes, lens cases, lens caps, hoods, etc. Do I need all these lenses? I don't really think so. I'm beyond the Lens Buying Addiction (LBA) syndrome, I'm more in the Obscene Lens Buying Addiction (OLBA) syndrome. It's got to stop!

I decided to come down to planet earth and eliminate (sell) the lenses I really don't need. I would like to cover focal lengths from 15mm (in 35mm format) to 300mm (in 35mm format). I would like to have one set of zoom lenses covering these focal lengths and overlapping a little, with a common filter size of 77mm. Then, I would like to have all of the the present and future Pentax DA Limited lenses as prime lenses, but they must all have 49mm filter sizes. I can hear you from here saying "you can buy adapters so that the larger filter sizes can fit on all smaller lenses as well". That may be true, but today's lenses do not have filter threaded lens hoods and using a filter adapter means you cannot use the hoods supplied with your lenses.

I know that zoom lenses cannot be as good as primes, at least theoretically, but today's worst zoom lenses are better than the best prime lenses of yesteryear's. So for my usual photographic endeavors, local shoots, planned field trips, I'm quite okay with zoom lenses. For one thing, using zoom lenses means you don't have to change lenses so often and when shooting in dusty and windy outdoor locations, the less lens changing the better. For these occasions, I always bring at least two bodies, with zoom lenses attached; one from wide-angle to normal and one from normal to medium telephoto.

When traveling, I bring either the K200D or the K2000 with prime lenses. They are all made with more metal parts and the glass is probably the best, in optical properties, that Pentax produces. The primes are good for portraiture and most have excellent bokeh on account of a combination of more diaphragm blades, larger maximum aperture, and the quality of the glass. Their small sizes and the small DSLRs makes them ideal for traveling or street photography.

Here is my personal Lens Buying Road Map, using what's currently available or scheduled as per Pentax's own Lens Development Roadmap.

Zoom Lenses

smc PENTAX DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fish-Eye Currently own (No filters required).

smc PENTAX DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) Need to purchase.

smc PENTAX DA Star 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Currently own.

smc PENTAX DA Star 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Will not purchase as the filter size is 67mm.

smc PENTAX DA Star 60-250mm F4 ED (IF) SDM Would love to have but filter size is 67mm. Will not purchase.

** For now, the Pentax DA 50-200mm lens I already own will bridge the gap between my DA* 16-50mm and the DA* 200mm. When and if Pentax introduces a new 50-200 with a filter size of 77mm, I will get one, otherwise, I might have to get a Sigma or Tamron. I would like to stay with Pentax lenses only. In simplifying my approach, I decided on 49mm and 77mm filter threads only. I use ND and CPL filters only, but they are an important tool that can make or break the results.

Prime Lenses

smc PENTAX DA Star 200mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Currently own - Not a zoom lenses but the filter size is 77mm.

smc PENTAX DA Star 300mm F4 ED(IF) SDM Currently own - Not a zoom lenses but the filter size is 77mm.

smc PENTAX DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Need to purchase.

smc PENTAX DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited Will be buying next.

smc PENTAX DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Own, however, the focal length may be too close to the 35mm for still needing this lens. Might sell it.

smc PENTAX DA 70mm F2.4 Limited Currently own.

smc PENTAX DA 15mm F4 EDAL Limited Will purchase when it becomes available. I will love this lens!

DA 1.4 Rear Converter SDM - Will purchase when available.

As for my twenty something other lenses, I will sell them and spend some of the money on the new lenses listed above, that I don't own, and I will put the rest in the bank. I don't think that I will even keep my faithful FA 50mm f/1.4, or DA 16-45mm, and a whole list of FA and FA* lenses.

Pentax will probably introduce a 400mm and maybe a 600mm at one point, but that was always beyond my reach and will probably stay that way.

That's my Pentax Lens Buying Road Map. What's yours?

Thank you for reading,

Download the latest Pentax Lens Roadmap here.

Yvon Bourque

11 comments:

ShadZee said...

Interesting. I went through the same though process a few weeks ago.

I had a lot of lenses as well, and have started the selling process.

My criteria is a bit different ;-) Since I also have a film (LX) camera - having the Aperture Ring is important.

My roadmap:
DA 15 (isn't it on everyone's list)
DA 12-24 (don't have it. I'll wait for DA15 first)
FA 20-35/4 (the BEST in this range)
FA 43
A- 50 F/1.2 (primarily for the LX)
DA 70 (contemplating exchange with 77 or FA*85)
A* 135 (don't have)
DA 60-250 (well maybe next century)
A* 200 F/4 Macro (macro & 200mm)
F* 300 F/4.5 (light & small)
1.4x (I have the Tamron for now)

What I have sold recently:
DA 21
DA 18-55
DA 50-200
Sigma 24 (I should have kept)
A 28
A 50/1.7
Tamron 28-75/2.8
Tamron 90 macro
FA* 80-200 (I should have kept it)
FA* 300/4.5 (to be sold, replaced with F*)
A 400/5.6 (to be sold)

Anonymous said...

today's worst zoom lenses are better than the best prime lenses of yesteryear's.

I will have to strongly disagree with that statement, Yvon. I'll take a Pentax-K 28mm and 50mm prime duo over the DA 18-55mm kit lens any day. I'm willing to put money were my lens is and bet that the primes will kick the DA zoom's arse :-)

When and if Pentax introduces a new 50-200 with a filter side of 77mm...

But that's never going to happen, Yvon, except maybe if Pentax release a DA* 50-200mm f/2.8 (which they should). It's a shame that you are discounting the two DA* zooms based on filter size alone, as they are of very high quality.

Unknown said...

Miserere,

Okay, the 18-55mm kit lens is crap, but I was more thinking in line of say the DA 16-45 kind of lenses, and in general, saying that today's lenses are netter than yesteryear's lenses.

I have the FA 50mm f/1.4, and although an excellent lens, with the APC-C it gives me an angle of view similar to a 75mm. I think that the 35mm Limited is a better choice for the current Pentax line of DSLRs and the angle of view is more in line with what we have becomed used to through the years.

As for the current DA* zooms, although good glass, I can do without until something bridging the gap would have a 77mm filter size. 95% of my photos are taken between 10mm and 60mm. I have the DA*200 and 300, so I just need to walk a little more to adjust my pictures to my focal length, instead of adjusting the focal length to my pictures. You prefer single focal length length lenses too, don't you? :)

Of course if Pentax or a charitable soul would give me one...I would take it and would dish out the mopney to purchase 67mm filters.

Unknown said...

Shadzee,
I would have kept these lenses of yours:

DA 21 Limited & FA* 80-200 if it had 77mm filter sizes.

I am sure that if we ask 100 Pentax shooters to design their own Lens Roadmap, we will get 100 different maps. I hope many people list their own roadmap here. I could make a chart in the end and see what is the general concensus.

Alan Bailward said...

I'm wanting to get the 10-17 fisheye, 12-24, some more of the limited primes (FA if I can afford them) and the 50-135 or a 70-200/2.8 (I think tamron is about the only modern option here) as a wedding / portrait lens, not necessarily in that order though :)

Course, pie in the sky I'd get them all as a porter to carry around my camera bag(s) :)

Wieland Willker said...

Since I consider APS-C only an interlude, I try to avoid DA lenses as much as possible and concentrate on FF lenses.
I have bought the DA200, which covers FF.
And I am contemplating buying the DA55, which I think will cover FF, too.

Unknown said...

Okay, Yvon.

I just bit the bullet and published my own. It's in my blog. I have maintained it for a good while already, so it's rather tidy now. Glad I don't have to show anyone what it looked like 3 years ago. :-)
In think the most important aspect of a Lens Roadmap is to keep it a dynamic document. To update it for every purchase and sale, and for every change in your photographic needs.

Best,
Jostein

Anonymous said...

OK Yvon, here is an actual answer to your request. These are the lenses I would like to own (but cannot afford):

REAL:

DA* 50-135mm f/2.8
DA* 200mm f/2.8

IMAGINARY:

DA* 135mm f/2
DA 24mm f/1.8 Ltd
DA* 11-16mm f/2.8
DA* 60-210mm f/2.8

Unknown said...

Jostein,

Very well done. What software did you use for the roadmap? Maybe I will post a blank roadmap that everyone can use, regardless of brand actually. Could make one in Excel or perhaps in PDF. JKostein, if you have a blank copy, either make it available on your blog or maybe I can do it,

Yvon

Unknown said...

Yvon,
everyone,
I have uploaded some templates to my www.alunfoto.no domain. It's a ZIP-package, containing a Microsoft Powerpoint template, and OpenOffice Impress template, and a PDF.
Clicking here will take you there directly.
I renounce all copyright to these templates, but some mention or credit for the idea would be nice if you find it useful in creating your own. :-)
Best,
Jostein

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I really don't understand why everyone is so jazzed about the DA 15 and promising the world they will be first in line to buy it when it comes out.

The DA 14 is already out! It's a splendid lens!