Tuesday, March 3, 2009

March 3rd, first day of PMA09 exhibition and trade show. Walking around the exhibition hall with the K2000 in hand.

Visitors to this page also liked: See "Recommended Reading" on the right column.
We honor reciprocal links.

Hi Pentaxian friends.

My wife and I arrived at the PMA09, at the Las Vegas Convention Hall, around 10:30 A.M. Anne (wife) carried her white K2000 around her neck and we weren't even pass the entrance when people started asking her questions about the camera. I know how controversial the introduction of a "White" DSLR was and still is amongst some Pentaxians. Let me tell you that Pentax should and will probably order more. Speaking with Mr. Ned Bunnell today, introducing a White K2000 was a hit or miss decision. Pentax, as a Company, really listens to their customers and in the case of the K2000, the customers have spoken and I believe Pentax has already sold all or most of the White K2000 DSLRs. I believe that they will acquire more of them...it's another winner.

I was not going to take a picture of my wife in front of the PMA sign, but a gentleman asked her to pose with the White K2000, so I took one too.

I was watching the reaction of the crowd and I was surprised to see how many men were asking questions about the camera . I haven't heard anyone say they didn't like the camera. It's one thing to see pictures of the camera on the Internet, but seeing one in the real world and holding one makes a big difference.

While we were visiting the Tamrac booth, one of the representative Macki, couldn't keep her hands off the camera. My wife went on and on about all the features and Macki agreed and said it is about time.

Remember that it has the same sensor as the K10D, but the algorithm has been improved upon. I was taking a picture the other day, with my K20D, carefully analyzing the composition, taking the shot in RAW format and then post processing it in Lightroom to make the final image as close to the actual scene as I could. I thought I had done a god job, when Anne simply said, "I took that picture with my white camera while you were taking yours. I looked at her picture, taken in the "AUTO PICT" mode of the K2000 and it was just as good as mine. I would never admit it to her, and criticized her composition, but...it was painful. All that to say that it's a very good little DSLR. I can't imagine a better "bridge" camera. Furthermore, if you like the attention, this little gem will bring you some. Get ready to have people approaching you everywhere you go. Anne loves it.


Thank you for reading,

Yvon Bourque

6 comments:

Jan Moren said...

My wife is sort of in the market for a better camera (she works in graphic design and a compact doesn't really give the image quality she wants). The K-m (K2000 in the US) size is good, but for her it's simply a bit too heavy. Throw in a bag and the weight is too noticeable. For what it's worth, she rejected the G1 for the same reason.

Don't think there's a solution to that, really; a DSLR just isn't the camera for her. For what it's worth, I have a K10D and if or when I replace it, the K-m would be my choice ahead of the K20D too.

Bruce Robbins said...

Hi Yvon,

As one of the biggest critics of the white Pentax on my blog, I'm happy to say it looks as if I got it completely wrong. Personally, I still can't see why anyone would want a white camera other than as a fashion statement but if it contributes to the continuing sucess of a great camera company like Pentax then I'm quite prepared to look in the other direction whenever it's required!

Can I have one in British Racing Green with a tan pop-up flash? ;-)

Aleksander Helgaker said...

If your wife doesn't want a slr she still has a few choices. First of all the Canon G10 is an excellent camera and there are several professionals who use it as their pocket camera. I also know of several journalists here in Norway who carry a G10 around as a backup camera.

Samsung has also recently announced the NX camera and Olympus has also launched a similar product. They are extremely small, but use the same sensor as a dslr.

Cal said...

Hi Yvon,

Thank you for your insights directly from PMA09.

On one of your previous posts you asked for a 'list of questions', just as you did on photo.net forum.

So here is my personal (wish)list:

About dslr evolution:
-It might make sense to keep aps-c sensors on expert dslr, and to provide medium format sensor for pros (645D?): does Pentax/Hoya confirm this strategy?
-Any future improvements of the auto focus system ? (better and more numerous collimators, and assistance lamp like on nikons)
-A large and bright viewfinder (see alpha900)
-High ISO mode up to 25400 or + (with acceptable quality)
-A dynamic range enhancer comparable to nikon's d-lighting with settings (strong, medium, low...)
-Self calibration for hot pixels
-Lower mirror flap noise
-Double memory card slot with options (double capacity, backup, raw and jpegs on separate cards)
-Adujstable lines in viewfinder (selection of grids)
-Furthermore the following "easy to implement" features would be nice:
* Hyperfocal AF mode
* Swivel LCD
* Video mode (with mic and jack-in)
* One programmable button
* Artificial "horizon" in live view mode (+ vertical lines)
* a 3rd scroll wheel for ISO (useful when in M mode)
* an AF-L button on the grip
* wifi option in the grip
* GPS option or interface (why not bluetooth? it is a low consumption and standard solution)
* a Split-Image / Micro-Prism Focusing screen on every dslr... or at least one that we can buy from Pentax
* Voice recording with images
* Built-in viewfinder cover that can be closed when shooting with eye away from viewfinder
* Programmable timer capture
* Real mirror lock up (and not linked to timer)
* Face(s) recognition for autofocus (+ smile detection ;)
* Panoramic adjustment of pictures


Apart from that I read some complaints about: more fps, 1/8000 shutter speed, 1/250 sync, p-ttl reliability, off-camera lighting limitations, input for studio flash.
To be noted that there are minimal complaints about "not enough megapixels" but a lot of "high iso performance needed".



About the lens roadmap:
-Some lenses/TC have vanished from the roadmap, creating a lot of buzz: DA* 30mm, 1.4xTC. Plus, there is no more future lenses. Does this by any chance mean that DA lenses development will stop? that Pentax is going full-frame? that Pentax brand will disappear? that the economic crisis prevents Pentax from having a real R&D roadmap?...
-Any chance to see an updated and optimised for digital version of the 31/1.8? or a 30/1.4?
-Any chance to see a "noctilux equivalent " series of lenses? (basically updated limited FAs + a wide angle such as 20/1.4)
-Please give us back DOF markings on the lenses (just like on limited)




About other cameras:
-Is Pentax linked with Samsung in the development of the NX? (read: will it be possible to mount Pentax lenses?)
-A digital rangefinder in the future? (why not?)


Anyone still reading? too long, too much questions for Pentax ;)

Paul

Aleksander Helgaker said...

There are basically three things I want to see in the K30D/K300D.

1. Better noise control at high ISO (more important than more pixels I think).
2. Faster autofocus.
3. Geotagging.

Many think of geotagging as nothing more than a novelty, but it's actually extremely useful.

Jan Moren said...

Aleks, off topic but: My wife already has a high-end compact that gives pretty much the image quality of a Canon G10 or similar. She's like all of us - she wants the flexibility of an SLR at the size of a matchbox. Just like I'd want a laptop with 40" screen that fits in my pocket. She's looking for the impossible and knows it :)

Meanwhile, she actually continues to use the old film SLR instead, and scan the film. Fine by me, and it's made me use film more and more too.