Friday, March 11, 2011

Thank you for your patience and support. INTRODUCING THE "ALETTA DSLR STABILIZER".

Email: brqyvn@gmail.com

 
Hi Pentaxian friends.

 
There are numerous things that have bothered me for years when using my DSLRs.  I looked everywhere for  an all inclusive type of solution but could not find any. Eventually, I designed something to fix the problems or inconveniences. For the last year, photographer friends and family told me to patent my invention and to market it. Several Pentax employees I met at various shows told me the same. I'm finally doing it.

 
Here are the problems or inconveniences I am alluding to:

 
  • 1.  When using a telephoto or long zoom lens, the camera cannot stand in the upright position when laying it down on a flat surface.  This has caused many broken or scratched lens hoods and even scratches on the camera body.

 

 

This has caused many broken or scratched lens hoods and even scratches on the camera body. While some telephotos have tripod mounts, these are mostly for distributing the weight evenly.  They are rarely tall enough to protect the camera, or the lens itself, when resting the camera/lens on a table or other surface.
The Aletta  DSLR Stabilizerresolvesthat problem. 

 

 

 
  •   2. Sometimes I like a camera strap around my neck and sometimes I like a hand grip. A hand grip secures the camera in your hand and is super convenient when shooting events or in a fast pace environment. The problem with current hand grips is that the part that fits under your camera covers about half of the body preventing you from laying the camera flat. They are also very unstable when setting the camera on a tripod while keeping the hand grip installed.
 


The problem with current hand grips is that the part that fits under your camera covers half of the body preventing you from laying the camera flat.
The Aletta DSLR Stabilizer resolves that problem.

  • 3. I often go on photo treks and try to keep the equipment down to a minimum, while having enough for the unexpected. I always need a tripod at some point. It's easy enough to bring, let's say...a wide angle zoom lens, a normal to medium zoom lens and a medium to extreme zoom lens. What I hate the most is carrying the tripod. It's always in my way, except when I need it and then it takes times to stabilize it, extend the legs, etc.
The Aletta DSLR Stabilizer resolves that problem.
 
 
  • 4. Don't you hate it when you travel with your camera and  night time comes. You see good opportunities to take long exposures of night scenes, but you don't have your tripod with you. You try to set the camera on a tree stump or branch, a fence, a mail box, but can never stabilize the camera straight. Too often, your pictures either come out blurry or tilted.
The Aletta DSLR Stabilizer resolves that problem.
 
  • 5. Most newer DSLRs now have video capabilities. This opens up a whole new world. Wouldn't it be nice to have reasonably priced supports for taking videos? Wouldn't it be nice if all types of supports could be made to work together, again at a reasonable price?
The Aletta DSLR Stabilizer will have that capability as we grow.

 
  • 6. While some of the newer DSLRs have an electronic level built in, it would be nice to have a bubble level with your DSLR at all time.
The Aletta DSLR Stabilizer resolves that problem.
 
 
SO HERE IT IS: "ALETTA DSLR STABILIZER".

 
  • It protects your camera from scratches.
  • It stabilizes the camera even when a long Zoom or Telephoto is attached. While some telephotos have tripod mounts, these are mostly for distributing the weight evenly.  They are rarely tall enough to protect the camera, or the lens itself, when resting the camera/lens on a table or other surface. (See the first picture above)

Never damage your long lenses anymore.

Overall view
  • It incorporates a bubble level, slightly offset for better reading.

 
Easy to see bubble level.
  • It has a 1/4" threaded hole underneath if you want to install the whole camera system on a tripod for studio work.

 
It has (3) sets of screw-in extending legs, (four in each set, 1/2" long, 1" long and 1-1/2" long), allowing levelling of the camera on a rock, mail box, fence, or just about any uneven surface for night photography or simply to replace your cumbersome tripod. It's great for field trips and wild life or landscape photography.

 
Four different sized of screw-in legs are supplied. - 1/2", 1" and 1 1/2".
  • We use genuine non-slip "egrips" on the top surface to prevent camera shifting.
A hand grip is included for secure camera holding. (A genuine leather hand grip will be available at extra cost.)
Underside view.

 

 
  • S-biners are supplied so that you can install your neck strap when needed or remove it quickly when not needed.

 

Camera strap in use.

The S-Biners makes installing and removing the neck strap simple and quick.
  • It is made of aircraft aluminum, CNC machined for durability and quality. (No cheap plastic here)
The overall finish is black velvety powder coating, matching the look and durability of your camera finish.

 
It is made of Aircraft Aluminum,  CNC machined. You paid a lot for your DSLR, don't you want quality products to match it? It weights a little over 12 ounces, but most tripods are weighing around 4 pounds.
 



 
The K-5 stabilized on a car roof and hood. You can see the adjustable legs in use. These "screw-in "legs can be adjusted to most shapes, (tree trunks, mail boxes, benches, fences, etc, You will appreciate that capability when traveling or when you are without a tripod. Once attached to the camera, you never have to take it off. It fits in your camera bag.

 
It works without the Battery grip, but doesn't conform to the smaller footprint perfectly. For that matter, it will fit on any DSLR. We are contemplating making three different sizes, accommodating most DSLRs. However, custom cut for a particular DSLR always looks better. You can let us know.
For all the other peripherals it replaces, incorporated in one unit, we are introducing our "DSLR Stabilizer" at a target price of $149.95 U.S. We will have a finite price once we calculate the exact manufacturing cost.

 
We Will start shipping in April, and you will be able to pre-order in a few days. You can also send us an email,  brqyvn@gmail.com  and request to be informed when the Aletta DSLR Stabilizer is available for shipping.

 
Be prepared to answer questions from other photographers everywhere you go. They are intrigued by it.

 
More photos and videos to be released in the next few days.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uh... that might be useful when using tele lenses, but if you are using small lenses, it looks like if it could be unconfortable :/. Of course I have not tried it.

Unknown said...

It's actually comfortable and still protect the underneath of the camera. It also help stabilizing the camera at night for slow shutter speed and really replaces the cumbersome tripods.

Nathan Chilton said...

Very nice, Yvon! Every time I set my camera on a table/desk, I get nervous because of the way it is tipped forward. I like your concept a lot.

Benthos said...

I love the idea of stabilizing for most of those times where I don't carry the tripod when I need one...
But usually I hold my camera right hand on the camera and left hand underneath the lens. Does it not get in the way for short lenses?
I'm guessing that with a quick-release plate underneath, the legs can still keep the camera elevated enough to be stable?

Great idea...

Unknown said...

Benthos,

You can certainly install a quick release plate. In the weeks/months ahead, we will introduce all kinds of attachments and supports for use in video making since most DSLRs now have that capability. The current line of supports and brackets for video making are very expensive and we plan to make them affordable for entry-level to advanced amateurs.

Paolo Bosetti said...

Good idea. From a mechanical design point of view, though, while haven't you gone for a kinematic design? In other words: why 4 legs, when 3 are enough? strictly speaking, as kinematic design principles say, one of the 4 legs will always be floating in the air, and I think that there's actually no need for it.

Unknown said...

Paolo,

You are correct, except for one thing. The lens position on DSLRS (as opposed to 35mm SLRs) is not located is the center of the camera.Long lenses have a tendency to be heavy and the weight shifted to one side makes the unit tilt easily. If the object you rest the system on is very uneven, you may indeed be using only three of the legs. On the other hand, I just need to add another blind tap hole in the center and one can use it as a tri-point stabilizer. Good suggestion.

Anonymous said...

I can see why it's been so difficult to guess what your product could have been, it does so much! I'm looking forward to seeing a line of products to support this system you're creating. Good luck on the release.

Anonymous said...

Hi...

I don't understand how the device, wheighing only 12 ounces, can stabilize all long lenses ?

I am not speaking about a 600mm / f2.8 which would weigh 15 kgs (of course it's a bit extreme) but just a standard 300mm / f4 ?

Won't it fall foreward ?

I did not mention it but it seems great !!!

HENRY KISOR said...

I'm going to order one. My K-5 and battery grip tips forward if anything longer than a kit lens is on it. Inasmuch as a 55-300 lives on that body, this will be very useful to have.

admin said...

Looks interesting. I don't shoot with big tele's, preferring the Pentax Limiteds, but I just might order one when pricing info is available.

At the very least, I think it's an interesting solution to when you need to use long shutter speeds, and don't want to carry even a small tripod.

Also, is international shipping going to be part of the initial batch?

Thanks,
Josh
Manila, Philippines.

Unknown said...

The target price is $149.95, but we are calculating the exact cost of manufacturing and may adjust the price accordingly.

Henry, I will let you know when serial No 1 is ready. As editor of my e-book for the K-5, that's the least I could do.

Thomas, It's not so much the weight that counts, it's the cantilevered design.

BrainSalad, we will ship internationally.

Thank you for your encouraging comments.

Unknown said...

want one! (for my K20D...)

When using my "Bigma" it is really difficult to put the camera down somewhere safe.
This would really be a useful piece of kit for me!

Unknown said...

Remco,

I don't have the "Bigma" but I'm pretty sure it would hold it straight without tilting. The lenses like 600mm and 6" in diameter will not work, but usually these lenses already have a massive tripod mount that the camera and lens can rest on. I am debating in my head if I should make three universal stabilizers,(Small, medium and large. It would cut the costs down (Mass producting is always cheaper than custom producing) but it wouldn't fit the contour of DSLRs or Battery grips perfectly.

street_vision said...

Well, I can see it a very useful tool for street shooting. I like the looks of the hand strap and the base can be useful for putting on walls or what ever is convenient for some slow shutter motion blur street shooting.

Falk Lumo said...

Yvon, I like your idea. I've two questions:

1. What are the exact dimension (or dimension of the protruding element)? I ask to check how it would fit my photobag chambers. Maybe, I could place it head down if stuffed w/o lens.

2. The legs (12.7, 25.4, 38.1 mm right?) Are they find-adjustable, i.e., can I turn them to adjust height? And if so, by how much? And if so, is friction high enough to keep the height?

Thanks for a great product and making it a Pentax first ;)

Unknown said...

Falk Lumo,

The dimensions are 5"x5" (15.24cm x 15.24cm) by 1/2 thick (12.7mm)

The screw-in legs are adjustable and easy to turn with enough friction to keep them on. The legs are mainly used to level the camera on uneaven surfaces. The 12.7mm legs can screw completely into the body, leaving only the rubber feet out, but allowing the mounting of a quick disconnect plate without interferences.

Unknown said...

Rice High,

I don't want to start a forum type discussion on this blog. If it becomes a point of argument here, I will remove it, although I don't want to. The comments about it being revolutionary and all, was not said by me. It was assumed by some folks on forums. This is all I said:
"Something new is coming. DSLRs will never be the same...
Pentax K-5/ K-7 will get it first, but Nikon, Canon, Sony and Olympus will get it next."

From there it went viral and before I knew it, thousands and thousands of people were visiting my site or starting new threads on forums. Frankly, I don’t quite understand why my fellow Pentaxians gave me such a hard time. Relax…I’m on your side.

I had the same reaction on forums when I published my first e-book. I'm on my 6th e-book now and people do buy them and I still sell books for the “now old “ K100D and K10D because people purchase used cameras and still need some references.

If there are other stabilizer systems out there, similar to mine, I never saw one otherwise I would have bought one. It absolutely changed everything for my type of photography.. It's like a tripod, it's like a good handgrip, it's like a good stabilizer, it protects the camera and long lenses, and there is practically no setup. I leave it on the camera all the times, I don't have to carry a heavy tripod, I can shoot at night and at very low shutter speed, I can balance the camera on almost any uneven surface...I love it myself. I can’t go anywhere without having people asking me where I got it. I made my first one two years ago and at the advice of other photographers and friends, I finally got it patented and now I am introducing it to everyone. The main message I got is that the target price is too high, and I’m pretty sure that after we compile the mass manufacturing costs, it will likely come down in price. I may offer it with or without the handgrip.

It's not for everyone, but some folks will like to use it as much as I do.

The whole thing has nothing to do with my credibility. Actually, I am excited about it and about all the other attachments that will also work with it in the near future. It’s sad that in our small Pentax community (about only 5% of the DSLR sold worldwide) we don’t help each other more. I try to help every way I can, and this Stabilizer was first presented to Pentax owners. My Pentax front and rear focus chart is free for the download and many thousands of people downloaded it and still do. It is downloaded between 200 and 500 times each day.

I thank all of my readers and the whole photographic community, as for every negative comment; there are several hundreds of positive ones.

HENRY KISOR said...

I've just Googled "camera stabilizers" and can find nothing remotely similar to the Aletta stabilizer. Almost all of the others are large and heavy shoulder or monopod devices meant for videography.

In my opinion, Yvon, your small and light device fills a real need.

Over the top, my foot! Yours is clever marketing.

Spark Row said...

I like the product. My addtitional request (if possible ) would be for suction cup leg/attachment option, strong enough to mount on a car for video. Just a thought for v2. Excellent job!

street_vision said...

Yvon,
Seriously, do not pay attention to Rice high. Delete his comments and move on. For all the gadgets and gizmos out there, I have never seen anything like what you have. While it is not for everyone, many, like myself will enjoy it.

Yvon Bourque said...

Javier,

I never thought about bracing the camera against a wall or lamp post, but I tried it today. What a great idea. It works very well. You put the camera against a wall and push toward the wall with your left hand. The camera doesn't move at all because of the non-slip rubber feet. On a lamp post or uneven vertical object, you do the same except for adjusting the legs accordingly. You don't scratch the bottom of the camera and it's non-slip. You just created a use I hadn't thought about. Great!

Kesha said...

Hi Yvon, I am living in Jakarta-Indonesia, I am a Pentax user, K7.
I really like Aletta DLSR Stabilizer and I want to get one.
I am active in DPREVIEW, Pentax SLR Talk.

I am looking forward to get your product, I just need the pod, no need the handgrip.

Pls let me know how to get it.


Regards,

Kesha/Rusma

Unknown said...

Kesah,

We will start shipping early April and we will indeed affer the stabilizer alone or with accessories. Check my blog for further news,

Regards,

Yvon Bourque

Pacerr said...

Suggestion: provide for a screw-in, vertical upright post between the base-plate and the bottom of the lens to take strain off the body mount when using longer/heavier lenses. This would compensate for the stress-relief effect of a lens tripod mount.

Top of the post to be cushioned and possibly V-shaped to protect the lens barrel. A pivoting L-head shape might assist in "finding" a secure spot or the tripod mount on the bottom of the lens. Or alternate threaded holes for positioning the post - or, shared with alternate holes for a "third-leg" option on the bottom as discussed above?

Alternatively, provided an adjustable, 1/4-20 threaded auxillary post that would fit in an existing lens tripod mount and bear on the base plate.

Could also use a slot in the base to accommodate a 1/4-20 threaded rod with adjusting nuts attached via the lens tripod mount.

Concept: Threaded rod(s)-in-sleeve for length adjustment. A stubby turn-buckle would provide adequate adjustment and many options for rod-end fittings.

H2